Grizzly shaper cutters

dwacker

The topic is grizzly shaper cutters but this review is for the stair cutter. I bought this cutter to save some time and money over ordering corrugated knives. First its a smallish cutter as you can see in the photo but the profile is one that generally is best run on a larger spindle. Why grizzly sells this cutter in 3/4" I do not know. As far as shipping and service goes grizzly is great, the cutter arrived in 5 days.

I'd have to rate these a 5 out of 10. I did not expect a long life cutter but I did expect a good short run cutter. They are not as sharp as a quality cutter but as always you get what you pay for. My short run was walnut and that may have been asking a little to much out of a cheap cutter. Cutting the full profile in one pass the going back with a light climb cut produced the best result. I did run a test cut on softer wood and the only way I could get a clean cut was climb cutting. IMO if this cutter is a sign of how grizzly sharpens all their shaper cutter I would rate them all about the same. That being said inexpensive cutters are marketed to folks with smaller shapers with no power feeder so these would not be a good choice. You can't improvise by climb cutting without the power feeder. I'd probable look at a different brand of inexpensive cutter if that's what your shopping for.