Lowes dropped Deft finishes

Nick2cd

I wonder if that's a local store decision or an across-the-board decision.  It still shows as 'in stock' at my local Lowes.

Do you have a True Value or Aubuchon Hardware nearby?  Or some other small hardware store?  A lot of times places like that can order items if they don't have them on hand...

Deft was purchased a couple of months ago. Their new parent distributes primarily to paint supply stores not the Big Box outlets. My local paint emporium has no problems getting Deft (he has to order it in from his distributor). I got 8gals of Deft last week.

Deft was purchased a couple of months ago. Their new parent distributes primarily to paint supply stores not the Big Box outlets. My local paint emporium has no problems getting Deft (he has to order it in from his distributor). I got 8gals of Deft last week.

I doubt the PPG acquisition had anything to do with Lowes pulling the Nitro. The Nitro has a relatively low shelf life and Lowes buys in larger quantities. Nitro is not very a popular happy homeowner product. The Deft line is very limited and it would make much more sense to stock any other brand that they already stock complimentary products like Cabot or Valspar. PPG is all about the commercial stuff.

==> Lowes pulling the Nitro

Not just Lowes --- you'd be hard pressed to find Deft at any of the BORGs... The PPG acquisition was the explanation I received...

==> Nitro has a relatively low shelf life

Doesn't Deft have an almost infinite shelf life? I've been told that numerous time over the years...

==> Lowes pulling the Nitro

Not just Lowes --- you'd be hard pressed to find Deft at any of the BORGs... The PPG acquisition was the explanation I received...

The issue is your hard pressed to give the stuff away let alone sell it. Ever noticed every gallon can at the big box store was dusty? I was at Rodda a few weeks ago and they were selling it for $4 a gallon to get rid of inventory.

Its day is done. Water base finishes have taken its place, you can't survive off a few rattle cans. Many states its not legal to sell more than the rattle cans. Those of us that still spray lots of solvent lacquer for a living wouldn't use Deft.

==> Ever noticed every gallon can at the big box store was dusty? 

That's why my local guy orders-it-in. He is stocking less and less solvent-based...

==> $4 a gallon to get rid of inventory.

Wow...

Its not that the solvent doesn't sell its the Deft doesn't sell. I buy my Lacquer and CV from Rodda as does most of the local guys. We all spray solvent just not Deft. Around here none of the professional suppliers stock water based. I think the big box stores all sell water based in one form or another. Most of the people that go to the big box stores are not woodworkers they are just home owners.

Sorry PB, going to have to disagree as your comment is a bit generic.

For starters, there's nothing wrong with Deft.  Fact is that not all have your knowledge base or equipment and Deft has its place.  Also, just because one picks up their material at a big box store doesn't mean that they're "just home owners".  They may not be building high end custom furniture or cabinets but, they use the same tools and techniques as you do so, I would qualify them as "wood workers"

• Like 1

TIODS, to be fair, none of the cabinet shops, furniture factories, RV manufacturers, or prefab home manufacturers buy finish from BORG stores or Lowes here. In fact most small shops do not either. The customer service is far better from dedicated finishing supply services and the supply lot quantities cannot be supplied or depended on from the big boxes. This is not intended to offend but it is only certain medium big contractors who can get away with using big box stores. If this were not the case, Sherwin and Builder's Mart, and Robert Weed and the rest would have folded long ago. This is not even in consideration of wholesale Rodda etc.

==> Its not that the solvent doesn't sell its the Deft doesn't sell

Oh agreed, all our local kitchen cabinet shops are using CV, but WB-CV... In NJ, it's getting hard to get solvent anything anymore... It's not like California yet, but it's certainly getting there... Almost all solvent products have to be ordered-in... All the larger pro-shops are completely WB at this point -- they have little choice...

But there is woodworking beyond kitchen cabinets...

Deft is great on decorative pieces that don't see much abuse... A lot of high-end guys still use Deft on their bespoke work... It just shoots well and looks good... Another point for Deft -- it's easy to shoot well... Someone without loads of experience can shoot an outstanding finish with Deft... The up-front equipment cost is certainly lower -- you can shoot a dynamite Deft finish with a 3 stage (maybe even 2 stage) HVLP setup... That isn't going to happen with WB...

Bespoke/Hobby/etc is certainly a small market, so these products will fade-to-black over time...

• Like 1

Where I agree with you Schaffer, in consideration of the OPs original post, to suggest that they are using inferior products without consideration of cost and availability is somewhat concerning.  It's all relative to the experience level and budget of the individual.

• Like 1

Sorry PB, going to have to disagree as your comment is a bit generic.

For starters, there's nothing wrong with Deft. Fact is that not all have your knowledge base or equipment and Deft has its place. Also, just because one picks up their material at a big box store doesn't mean that they're "just home owners". They may not be building high end custom furniture or cabinets but, they use the same tools and techniques as you do so, I would qualify them as "wood workers"

I never said there there was anything wrong with deft. WB has taken over the market. You took my post wrong. Most of the people that go to big box stores are just home owners. Most are not woodworkers. Most dont care about woodworking they are just doing a weekend project and may never need to use a wood finish again. Woodworkers are the minority thus why deft is being pulled from the shelves. Nobody wants or needs it except for a select few woodworkers. It makes no sense to stock it.