New Guild Build Proposal

woodworkingmax

A dining table would be great but it would really need a companion project with the chairs.

I was reading an issue of FWW last night and they had a bathroom vanity project. Looked like a great potential guild project as the FWW version was QSWO and I bet Marc would design a version with a more different woods and a more modern look.

• 2 months later...

If you haven't yet, try to find the Shark Tank Episode with the Geek Chiq.  He did get a deal.  

I find this thread funny because about a month ago I saw the shark tank episode and afterward immediately logged on the live chat to discuss it.  All the asses there were making fun of it and me for thinking Marc would be interested.  Well, I guess I knew better.  I'm looking forward to the design.

Geek Chic on the Shark Tank Show

Custom Gaming Tables - Season 4 - Episode 423 - 4/19/2013
Robert+Gifford+Inventor+of+the+Geek+Chic Robert Gifford sitting at a Geek Chic Custom Gaming Table

Holy Cow Batman, that Geek Chic is not a chick at all. Actually I believe Robert Gifford, the owner of the Geek Chic Custom Gaming Furniture Store, pronounces it "Geek Sheek". The Geek Chic Custom Built Gaming Furniture is all about Quality. Each gaming table is custom built just for you in what Gifford calls "Heirloom Quality Furniture" to pass down to your little geeks.

From some of the comments I have read, the Geek Chic associates are very active in making sure they design and build you the very best gaming table for all the games you enjoy. This starts with a phone call to get to know you on a personal level so they can design a piece of quality furniture that clearly has your personal taste in mind. In addition to their famous gaming tables that convert to a coffee table when not in use, the Geek Chic Master Wood Workers also produce quality chairs, bar stools, dice towers, and storage cabinets for miniature collectibles and comic books.

As you can imagine with anything that is custom made for you, there also comes a price. The average custom gaming table will set you back about $3,000.00 and goes up from there. A little pricey in most peoples book, but then again, this is Heirloom Quality Furniture that will last a life time.

Geek Chic Before The Shark Tank

Geek+Chic+Custom+Gaming+Table.jpg High Quality Custom Gaming Tables Built
Just For You! Coming from someone who has been in the Tree Industry for most of my adult life, I very much like just about anything made out of good quality wood. All the Geek Chic furniture is made with the real wood it represents and is not stained to make it look like something it is not. It's surprising how many quality furniture makers use this tactic which I suppose it still looks good but it is not the real thing. All the gaming tables are made with Cherry, Walnut or Maple and all with a natural stain finish. As far as the price goes and after looking at the craftsmanship that goes into one of these gaming tables, personally I think I would rather take down a $3k tree over someones house then try to reproduce one of these gaming tables myself.

Getting a deal with the Sharks for a business that only makes custom made furniture may pose a problem if Robert does not have a plan to majorly expand production. This business model in itself could easily get so far behind in trying to keep up with demand (especially after it airs on the shark tank) that they could very well lose some orders from impatient customers. On the other hand if they were producing a few different mass produced gaming tables that would suit most people, then they could certainly ramp up production to the Sharks standards of profitability. But would that hurt the company's brand as Heirloom Quality Furniture?

Another concern I have is with the Geek Chic website. There is very little information and most pages have no information to speak of. Hopefully someone will take a little time to update the website before this Friday Night. It's hard to imagine they did get a deal with the Sharks when the website is still incomplete on several topics. It looks like we will have to wait and see if the Geek Chic got a deal on the Shark tank.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for what is probably a goofy question, I'm just finding my way around the forums... Marc mentioned crowd-sourcing ideas for the design of the table back when he first posted on this thread. Is there a discussion happening somewhere about the design of the table?

I'm not going to be doing the exact same thing as Marc. My wife loves her dining room table and wouldn't give it up even for a true Geek Chic table - and for those who haven't seen them in person, they're freaking gorgeous and seem to be very, very well built - but she would love to have a coffee table version, so I'm going to tweak it that way myself. :-) But I'd still like to see what's being talked about in terms of play area, storage, etc.

Hi K Cooper! I'm already signed up, no worries there. I've already learned a bunch from some of his other projects (although the only one I made so far was a much smaller version of the humidor). :) I was just wondering if anyone else was looking for the same kind of customisations I am... Would be nice to be able to compare notes with other woodworkers, especially those more experienced. (Which is almost everyone here, I'm sure. ;)

I already posted the link to the project on the Dwarven Forge forums, and a few of the folks on there were thinking of signing up for the Guild for this project. Dwarven Forge stuff is cool but it takes up space, and being able to incorporate really efficient storage into the gaming table would make it that much more useful. :-) 

oh my gosh, I am soooo excited.  I'm brand new to woodworking (as in, I have lots of ideas but no tools) and one of the things that got me interested was to build a gaming table (my husband and I are D&D geeks).  We bought the plans for the ultimate gaming table (see picture below) awhile back and I finally decided I wanted to build it.  But.. if I could build a better one (seriously, the Sultan above is sooo awesome) that would be even better!  And hey, I even have all summer to figure out what I'm doing before the build comes out in September!  Although I probably won't make ours dual purpose as we are geeky enough to have a room dedicated to gaming =)  Just wanted to say Hi and express my excitement!!!!

Oops.. and now I'm late to take my rugrats to preschool... heh...

post-17703-0-39630300-1428933731_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My own variation on this is that I'm making a coffee table, with additional storage underneath. Probably drawers for holding a lot of extra gaming supplies (terrain bits, minis, that sort of thing).

I suppose I should finally get around to learning Sketch-Up so I can plan this out properly... :-)