D-way CBN grinding wheel

Tom King

I just installed one, and tried it out today.  Wet grinder, and regular grinding wheels just became obsolete.

I was able to burn an old chisel, but I had to try really hard, pressing harder and longer than I ever would with a regular grinding wheel.

Probably at least 50 times faster than a wet grinder. 

I just stuck the wheel on an old 8" grinder that you have to start spinning by hand to get it going.  I was going to put it on an old Baldor, but have decided to leave that one in the mechanic/metal shop.  I'm looking at the Metabo.

I just ground a cheap Stanley chisel my hand with no rest-had to take the shroud off to get the D-Way on, and didn't want to spend any more time with this grinder than to just try the wheel out.  After that, 6 backward strokes on each of the 4 grades of Diamond Lapping Film, and the beater chisel could now shave hair.  Fastest I've ever ground and sharpened a chisel.  I'm really anxious to get it in a good setup.

I forgot to say, it's unbelievable how smooth it runs. 

www.d-waytools.com

That's a cool looking source for diamond wheels and such.

Here's a good one for stone tools

www.trowandholden.com

I've bought a bunch of their stoneworking tools, but no carving tools. I have no doubt they know their stuff though.

Experts say that CBN is better suited for high speed sharpening of tools we use for woodworking than diamond.  can't copy and paste here, but I found an article at gearsolutions.com.....in short, diamond doesn't last nearly as long when high speed grinding steel.  Diamond is better for grinding things like stone and non-ferrous metals.

Experts say that CBN is better suited for high speed sharpening of tools we use for woodworking than diamond.  can't copy and paste here, but I found an article at gearsolutions.com.....in short, diamond doesn't last nearly as long when high speed grinding steel.  Diamond is better for grinding things like stone and non-ferrous metals.

It's not that CBN is better, it's that Diamond is not the proper abrasive for grinding steel. if you use a diamond wheel to grind steel, you will destroy the wheel in a very short period of time, especially electroplated wheels like these. What happens is that the high speed of the grinder generates a lot of localized heat where the diamond meets the steel. The heat cause the diamond to break down, and carbon atoms migrate from the diamond to the steel. basically, diamond is fine at hand lapping speeds but not at machine grinding speeds.

I don't think your statement is completely accurate. The localized heat buildup is detrimental to the media bedding the diamond. Grinding steel will never generate enough heat to degrade a diamond but once the media begins to fail the diamond dust is stripped from the bedding media.

I don't think your statement is completely accurate. The localized heat buildup is detrimental to the media bedding the diamond. Grinding steel will never generate enough heat to degrade a diamond but once the media begins to fail the diamond dust is stripped from the bedding media.

Diamond & CBN Plated wheels both use a nickel electroplating process. If it was a problem with bedding media both abbrasives would break down at the same rate (rougly).

check with an abrasiveness manufacture they will all tell you not to use diamond on steel. like this one for example

http://www.georgiagrindingwheel.com/grindingwheels_basics.htm#faq10