Grizzly G0490X 8" Jointer

D-Cipher

Welcome -- Hell of a first post...

Congrats on the new tool...  Sound like the wife is a keeper...

Looks like your all set to rock-roll...  I suppose the only thing you could add would be a 6/12 month follow-up -- that's usually what's missing in most tool reviews... How it stands-up after that 'new-tool-smell' is gone...

Enjoy...

Thanks for the welcome everyone.  I hope people will find the review helpful.  I'll do a follow up review in a few months.  With the exception of the motor and perhaps cutter head bearings, I can't really see what would break on this particular jointer.  It's pretty much metal and bolts.

I know the review was pretty long winded, but I know when I'm thinking about buying something, the more detail in the review the better. 

• 2 years later...

Nice in depth review.  I have run this jointer since 2008.  The insert head paid for itself shortly after the first rotation based on my previous knife sharpening/replacement regiment.

The machine has done nothing but work since I set it up.  It met many of my "must have" items on my list:

• Parallelogram beds (if you've ever fought a dovetail way jointer into co-planer you know why).
  • Long infeed bed (roller stand are fine but, not all the time).
  • Tall fence ( use the jonter for more than just 90 degree cuts).
  • Insert cutterhead (the cost of ownership is so much less with these).

I'll confirm that the the mobile base is built-in and works great.

• 1 month later...

There usually are only differences in accessories and quality control standards. Basic castings are the same but they may be machined to higher or lower acceptable standards. Bearings, motors, switches may vary (or not) but a motor that fails Powermatic standards might pass Grizzley specs. Something that fails Grizzely specs might pass of ShopFox.

• Like 1