BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

As most of y'all know, I have been back and forth on my material choices for my Shaker style bench. For a while I wanted to use only solid wood construction. Then the more I thought about it, and looking at how much thought and effort was put into the plans by BC I have decided to follow the plans. Instead of using ply, I will use solid wood for the back.

I have finally started! Any and all feedback/advice is welcomed! And I will answer any questions about the process.

Here are some in progress pics.

eba2uzyq.jpg

u6ydyjan.jpg

u9ureje4.jpg

a9a3amaq.jpg

y3e6eqag.jpg

• Like 2

Update... I had to run out and buy the correct screws as recommended by BC.

Here's some progress...

I decided to make this little spacer to make sure I had the screws in line with the boards. I erred on the side of the bottom, to avoid making any error visible.

e3y3ajyj.jpg

Sided attached!

ybazadyj.jpg

90 degree clamp, love this thing!

7esedery.jpg

Dividers installed!

ta4yjeba.jpg

• Like 1

Hmmm... Fair point Tony!

I have decided (with a little guidance) to use pine for the face frame. May as well, as I'm painting it, and I don't really care if it gets dinged up. Lucky me, I have pine in my shop. I'll get started with that either tomorrow (unlikely) or Thursday after work. I do plan on getting the bottom supports installed tomorrow. The plan didn't do a great job of point this out. It is in the 3d drawing that is available on the site though.

• Like 1

Boy, you're a man of extremes...walnut and padauk one day to painted pine the next. :)

Funny thing... I was going to make it out of hardwood, and then I was looking over the plans and I realized how much time and effort went into making them so nice. It was then, that I realized that I should make it per the plans that BS made. We'll see how it turns out, but I am hopeful! The base is already pretty rigid! 

Hmmm... Fair point Tony!

I have decided (with a little guidance) to use pine for the face frame. May as well, as I'm painting it, and I don't really care if it gets dinged up. Lucky me, I have pine in my shop. I'll get started with that either tomorrow (unlikely) or Thursday after work. I do plan on getting the bottom supports installed tomorrow. The plan didn't do a great job of point this out. It is in the 3d drawing that is available on the site though.

Pine is good for this purpose, strong and cheap. If I am not mistaken, the plywood looks like its pine plywood, possibly from Home Depot at around $38 a sheet. Not a bad value for what it is.

Welcome to the world of woodworking with plywood! It has its place :-)

BTW - what were the special screws?