BenchCrafted Shaker Style Workbench

Llama

Looks good Mel . If you still wanted to paint the inside you could use a light color . I did a cabinet that SW blue spruce on the outside and a light tan inside , it came out nice , not dark at all .  The front is open so that helps too .

Hmm...  That's a cool option!  Perhaps a whitewash?

I only mentioned it because it happened to me on a set of shop drawers with some minwax. I don't know if it was the plywood or the finish, but everytime I opened the drawers for a good long time, it smelled like curing finish.

Hell, one of the reasons I like arm-r-seal over minwax is that it smells way better.  General Finishes stuff in general just seems to smell better.  Some of the Minwax stuff will stink up the shop for a couple days just opening the can to do a test piece.  Test result:  I'm not opening that can again until I forget about that.

• Like 1

http://firstlightwoodworking.blogspot.com

Cool blog I found Mel, scroll down the guy blogged about his shaker bench build. Just thought you would be interested to see some of his progress photos.

*Interesting fact I learned tonight. I wanted to build this bench for myself in the near future merely based on aesthetics, only thing hindering me was the lack of room to use holdfasts. Turns out you can use them on this bench. Either cut the shank down on the holdfast, or lee valley offers shorter hold fasts. That put my mind at ease. Now I can sleep.

Thanks for the link! I haven't seen this one before.

He followed the BC plans very closely. Perhaps exactly. Even has a ply back, which I'm considering the more I think about it. Seems like it would be stronger with a single piece than four pieces put together...

It is definitely something to consider. The back would be more stable, and no need to allow for natural wood movement. I mean, you do have core expansion inside plywood but it is nothing like solid wood. It's also routed to look like ship lapped boards, which is pretty darn neat. Who would know the difference except us Mel! :)

Ha! I think I'm over my fear of ply. I used it, and I haven't felt the need to buy more flannel, or remind people to wear safety glasses. ;)

The bench will be against a wall anyway, so I don't even need to route that detail.

I do wish I made the base deeper to accommodate my jointer plane. That's the only thing I'm kicking myself for now. Other than that, smooth sailing! :)

Not sure if you recall any pictures of my shop, but it's going under the window. I'm thinking of moving my SCMS to the back wall with the bandsaw, and having my TS park in the back when not in use. It's on wheels, so it's ok. Perhaps an assembly table on the opposite wall of my new bench. The old bench will turn into firewood. I'll keep the top that's on it now for other shop cabinets. 

I'll throw alot of crap away, and sell what I can of the stuff I don't use. 

I'm still thinking about where everything will go. I need to actually draw it out one day soon. 

Yep! I have crap I don't even remember putting in there! I have an X-Y table for a mill, random pieces of junk wood, fishing stuff, an old metal based work table a craftsman metal table I've had for years. I even have a pantry that was replaced with a new one (long story, bottom line, it wouldn't fit so they replaced it with a slightly smaller one, and we were told to keep both.) I have firewood, and lawn chairs in it now. Oh, I forgot the smoker. lol

Atleast we have the bikes and lawnmower in the shed! 

Its amazing the crap we accumulate in our shops isnt it!

I have been cleaning out my baseman for the last two days. I am amazed by the crap that I have kicking around that I don't need. I got rid of a whole load of stuff. It was good stuff, but needed a new home. It included 4 six foot sections of laminate shelving, a few kitchen countertops pieces, a pile of baby clothes and toys, an old entry table, and some random shelf brackets. Now I have some room to move around down there!

I have a small, hand tool only, basement shop I use in the cold Canadian winters, when the garage shop is not in use. Now I can move around down there, and I set up a small sharpening area and finish area. Now that it is clean, I am inspired to do some more to make it a nice working environment!

I only mentioned it because it happened to me on a set of shop drawers with some minwax. I don't know if it was the plywood or the finish, but everytime I opened the drawers for a good long time, it smelled like curing finish.

It could be a little of both, I bet the humidity of Florida didn't help the drying process any. For shop stuff I thin miniwax spar varnish by 50% with MS so I can wipe it on.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/exterior-clear-protective-finishes/minwax-helmsman-spar-urethane

these are three projects finished that way.

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/project/router-table/

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/project/shop-benches/

http://www.dans-hobbies.com/2008/06/28/simple-router-sled/

I made some killer progress today! I'll post some pics tomorrow. Man is it colds out there!

Anyway, the faceframe is done and attached. I need to cut the back panel and attach it. One end panel is done, and the door is started.

I have decided not to have the drawers on it. I do plan on installing some full length slides to hold a shelf though. Perhaps for something heavy. I'll know after I get the top on how I want to do it.

Mel "Reindeer King" Morris

Good point. I'm not adding the drawers because I don't like drawers. I'll have my chisels in a roll, and my planes sure won't fit in a drawer.

I'll need to build a proper tool cabinet for my planes as it is anyway. They all fit except my jointer. And I don't have the heart to separate them. :)

Mel "Reindeer King" Morris