Get Some Wood In Your Life

G S Haydon

I purchased this plane for $16 including shipping. It hadnt been used in years, and it took me 30 minutes to get the blade out of the body. Once I did that I sharpened and flattened the blade and fixed up the chip breaker. I also filed the mouth just a touch - Im going to use it as a fore plane so I put a tight camber on the blade. 

Its my first time with a wooden plane, and I immediately understood what people talked about with feedback. I put it to work on a piece of walnut, and it was a blast to work. 

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Got a surprise present from my sister in law - mah fust woodie! Posted a topic here. (Don't worry about the text, just read the pictures). Very interesting scrub plane. It works very well when pulled, at least I find it easier. I think this is a European model, and though the blade is German Swiss (Hans Pfister), I don't think it's a traditional German plane - they always have a horn, right?

John

• Like 1

I purchased this plane for $16 including shipping. It hadnt been used in years, and it took me 30 minutes to get the blade out of the body. Once I did that I sharpened and flattened the blade and fixed up the chip breaker. I also filed the mouth just a touch - Im going to use it as a fore plane so I put a tight camber on the blade. 

Its my first time with a wooden plane, and I immediately understood what people talked about with feedback. I put it to work on a piece of walnut, and it was a blast to work. 

$_57.JPG?rt=nc

Looks a beaut :-).

John, that's a fine scrubber you have there! Completley new to me that design, very agressive camber on that blade.

I've bought a few coffin smoothers which have been fun. Will post some pics when the chest is done.

I recently inherited a bunch of wooden planes from my granddad, thought this might be a good thread to get some opinions/information/advice on them, full album is here: http://imgur.com/a/xmeEP (inline pictures below are from this album)

generally, the planes look to my untrained eyes to be in pretty good shape. The irons and chipbreakers generally have a  bit of rust on them, but this is from improper storage since granddad died about ten years ago. The rust seems to be surface only, and should be quite easy to deal with.

there's five planes, and if possible, I'd like to know what do I use the different planes for, and apart from getting rid of the rust, and probably resharpening, what needs to be done to them?

First, the little plane (about 8 1/2 by 2 1/8 inches)
second, the big plane (about 25 by 3 1/4 inches), looks like it has a cambered blade.

third, the pretty plane (about 21 1/2 by 3 inches), blade looks straight.

and last the beast (about 15 1/2 by 3 1/2) and the oddjob (didn't measure, about as big as the little plane)

• Like 1

Hey Martin, welcome to the forum. I am newish to wooden planes myself but I can kick this off. You have a nice set of planes. Typically the longest is for jointing edges or flattening long boards. Typically the shortest is for achieving a super fine finish. You should not have difficulty using these planes once you figure them out. Not to discourage you, but those super fine shavings can get a lot finer:-)

I used my wooden plough plane for the 1st time today. Was fitting a new back door to the shop which was too short so had to do a bit or reframing. Decided it would be neat to plough a rebate for the draft excluder to sit in. Other than needing a sharpening works brilliantly. Not bad at all.

Hello Martin,

The first is a scrub plane in the Euro style and in good condition. Rapid stock removal time!

The second is a jointer, don't let the worm holes worry you. Treat them and you'll be fine.

Third looks like a shop made Razee. Some like this design on the shooting board. There is an idea that that the Razee is for "boys" ie kids learning shop in school.

I can only speculate on the "beast". Looks to be the kind of plane design used to stick big mouldings but it's not been profiled yet.

Last one is a scrubber too.

One nice deail is that all of them have double irons which makes them very versatile. There is a modest learning curve on these, not difficult, just need some time to get the feel. Enjoy them!

Hello G S, and thanks for the feedback!

The small one is for rapid stock removal, and the big one is for making things flat. That makes perfect sense now that I know, but I'm not sure I would have thought of it myself, thanks.

How would I go about treating the wormholes? as you can probably guess, I'm new at this stuff :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

There are some great bargains to be had out there if you are willing to put in a small amount of work on them.

msg-15398-0-24556800-1408620894.jpg

The saws cost £2 for all three, the five planes at the top were £8 (for all 5), the one at the bottom was free with the chisel and auger which were 50p and 10p respectively. I also got a 12tpi 10" backsaw for 50p that just needs a good sharpen. The metalwork on the planes is probably the most rusted I've seen but on close inspection it is only surface so should clean up OK.

As 4 of the planes are made by Emir I gave them a call to see if they had any new blades/chipbreakers. They don't make planes any more but they found one lurking in a dark and dusty corner of a stockroom which they are sending to me for the cost of a book of stamps (probably less than the postage).

So for anyone looking to tool up on a tight budget wood is by far the cheapest option.

• Like 1