Table saw top rejuvenation?

Nick2cd

I have a sawstop with which I'm completely in love.  Or at least as much as you can love a power tool.  anyways, like many of us here, I'm coming off of Christmas projects and the mad dash to finish projects.  Now that Christmas is over, there's a little time to breathe.  My cast iron top is looking rough.  it has some surface rust and even some scratches.  what's the best way to get it back to "like new" condition?  i don't mind seeing some of the scratches, but i don't want to feel them.  i generally coat regularly with johnson's paste wax.  but i want to do a deep clean and "lightly resurface" the top.  what's the best way to go about doing this?  bar keepers friend?  naval jelly?  wet sand with high grit wet dry paper?  

photo1_zpse68efa0d.jpg

Depends on what kit is available to you...

Some folks go at it with an RoS... Personally, I don't buy-into-that...

My Process:

Lapping plate (8"x8") and lapping paste (60micron) -- just about the best way to knock-down the scratch ridges without risk of dishing...

Once you've got the ridges under control, I use Simichrom Metal Polish applied with a buffer. This will remove most (and maybe all) stains and leave an even matte-finish. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZM7FS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38WFKVAMEYW7E . As a side note, while not a well-known product, Simichrom is generally considered one of the finest general purpose metal polishes available.

Final step is Renissance Wax applied with a buffer... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S1XBO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA