Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nick2cd

Table saw top rejuvenation?

8 posts in this topic

I have a sawstop with which I'm completely in love.  Or at least as much as you can love a power tool.  anyways, like many of us here, I'm coming off of Christmas projects and the mad dash to finish projects.  Now that Christmas is over, there's a little time to breathe.  My cast iron top is looking rough.  it has some surface rust and even some scratches.  what's the best way to get it back to "like new" condition?  i don't mind seeing some of the scratches, but i don't want to feel them.  i generally coat regularly with johnson's paste wax.  but i want to do a deep clean and "lightly resurface" the top.  what's the best way to go about doing this?  bar keepers friend?  naval jelly?  wet sand with high grit wet dry paper?  

photo1_zpse68efa0d.jpg

Depends on what kit is available to you...

Some folks go at it with an RoS... Personally, I don't buy-into-that...

My Process:

Lapping plate (8"x8") and lapping paste (60micron) -- just about the best way to knock-down the scratch ridges without risk of dishing...

Once you've got the ridges under control, I use Simichrom Metal Polish applied with a buffer. This will remove most (and maybe all) stains and leave an even matte-finish. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000DZM7FS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38WFKVAMEYW7E . As a side note, while not a well-known product, Simichrom is generally considered one of the finest general purpose metal polishes available.

Final step is Renissance Wax applied with a buffer... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012S1XBO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGNCLQA

For the surface rust just a little bit of mineral spirits, green scuff pad and some elbow grease will make it shine.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have used WD40 to clean off the top surface rust from jointer beds, band saw, & table saw. After spraying on the WD40 use a scotch brite pad and the rust comes off pretty good. I would knock down the scratches that catch with sand paper on a block.

Pretend they are not there problem solved. If you resurface your saw every time you get a little scratch eventually you will be buying a new saw.

1 person likes this

My grizzly top looks like crap, im over it, after all its grizzly haha.

Pretend they are not there problem solved. If you resurface your saw every time you get a little scratch eventually you will be buying a new saw.

I like this idea the best. Guess I'm finished!

If a scratch has edges raised up that you can feel sand them down . Scrub with a scotch Brite pad, seal with wax or whatever....

But if you can't feel an edge on a scratch buff off the rust and seal/ wax etc.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• Topics

• You could make a tilt jig to sit on top of your sander table. I see a lot of these on the Internet for drill presses. I suppose this could be more accurate and less fuss than the tilt on some machines. Every power tool we use is a motor attached to a shaper/cutter that uses some sort of guide. Lots of ideas are out there to build add on or better guides for our tools. I'm sure someone has done it before. I like my Ridgid too. I can't imagine anything that would tip it over. Not that I would pick up and take to the tool anyway. Sent from my woodshop using duct tape, twine, and a bit of sawdust.
    • As I wait for the finish on my new dining table to set up, Im moving on to making a set of carriage doors as I will be converting my garage to an artist studio and am ripping out the 16 ft wide 80 year old crumbling overhead door.  I was just wondering what the pros / cons of some of these choices of woods I have the option of using would be.  Im looking at choosing between clear vertical grain doug fir, cvg western red cedar, soft maple or ash.  Just based on the decent 8/4 stock at my local lumber yard.  The door would be 1 3/4 standard thickness.   Im wondering what characteristics I should be looking for and prioritizing, like weight, resistance to warping, wear, etc.  The doors will be painted.  Price wise, doug fir and western red cedar come to about 650$ for the rough stock, soft maple and ash around 435$.   I have attached a pic of one door.  And rough idea of what the garage opening might look like.  Thanks for your help.  Let me know if there are any details I left out.    
    • This is an argument for adopting directly from other people, and keeping the dogs from hitting the pound at all. I only have cats (so far), and we adopted from a foster that took them directly from a woman going into a care home. If you have a local forum or social media site (Nextdoor or a Facebook group) you could always put out the word for what you are looking for. Perhaps see if anyone has a Bulldog mix? Around me there are a lot of posts for people moving or dealing with allergies who have to re-home their pets.
    • I am going to make a couple assumptions here. It does not sound like you are going to be short on space or money in the future. If 6K was all you had to spend for everything and no other money could be spent on tools in the future, recommendations would be very different. This does not seem to be the case for you.  The SawStop seems like a done deal, if I was in your shoes I would make the same choice. I would stay away from CL, although there are some deals to be had, it mostly ends up being a frustrating experience. The SawStop does eat up a good amount of your initial budget, which does not leave a lot left over buying several more machines (not including DC in initial budget). I would skip the lunchbox planers and just spend the money on a nice 15" Planer. I have heard good things about the Grizzly Planers and if I was going to try and get the most bang from my buck, this is where I would do it. I also don't think you need a bandsaw right off the bat but if you do, the 1412 seems like the way to go and then you can add a bigger resew bandsaw a few years down the road. You could go with a router table instead but I have never owned one, so I can't offer you any good suggestions there. I would try to leave $500-$700 for accessories and clamps (not sure what your current clamp situation is like).  I think you will find yourself pretty busy for the first year just working on your shop setup and doing shop projects. At this point you will have a pretty good idea of what you want to add next.  About 4 years ago, I was in a somewhat similar situation. I had around 6K to spend on tools, I wanted a SS but did not want to eat up to much of my budget. I went a different route and ended up not being very happy. Fast Forward 3 years, I moved to HI and sold all of my power tools because they were not worth moving. If I had the SawStop, I probably would have kept it. I use mostly hand tools these days, whenever I can find time to get into my small shop. I also got deep into Festool when I was setting up my shop, which I also later regretted.  Good luck and keep us posted.
    • Only on scrapers as far as I know.
  • Popular Contributors

1. 1
      Eric.
      Eric.
    2. 2
      Mike.
      Mike.
    3. 3
    4. 4
    5. 5
      Llama