Unloading 700 lb planer

Robert Devereaux

Any suggestions from you guys that have been down this road many times?

I purchase a heavy 15" planer. My delivery choices are at my business or at my home where my shop is. I have plenty of room for an 18 wheeler to pull into the parking lot at my business. My plan was backing my pickup up to the delivery truck and sliding it into my bed. Then getting it home and backing my truck up to my detached two car garage workshop and.......then what.

Having the freight company deliver to my house isn't going to work. I have a long narrow winding driveway that leads to my house and then my shop is behind my house. It simply couldn't make the trek.

I was thinking about renting a cherry picker ( engine hoist) and getting it off my pickup that way.

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob D

Bob it will probably come in two or more boxes if it is new. You can probably rent a roller section like you see in distribution centers and just roll it off the back of your truck right into your shop. However this does mean you will need some extra muscle to do so. Get a couple of friends and offer beer and possibly food. :)

• Like 1

Do you have a business nearby that has a dock? When my table saw was delivered the driver was very helpful. He suggested taking it to a business in town and having them off load it into my truck. We got out there and he talked to them and they set it in my truck. As a matter of fact the owner at the business( a foundry) told me they would help out anytime. Took it home and broke down the crate, several of the parts were loose. Got my BIL to help me get off the truck and assembled in place. I live in a rural area and getting someone with a skid steer is pretty easy. I made a new friend at the foundry and built them a clock for the office to show my appreciation. Just some suggestions. Good Luck :D

• Like 1

A "brother-in-law" is not adequate help to lift a 700lb planer off a truck. :)   Planers come in one box, assembled, save for the extension wings.  They're very heavy.  I used a chain hoist to lift mine off my trailer...that's an option if you have a place to mount it and you have enough overhead clearance to get into the shop.  I couldn't do it anymore the way my shop is currently arranged.  BTW, if you choose to buy a hoist from Harbor Freight, go with the 2 ton instead of the 1 ton.  It's been a few years, but I posted a thread about the 1 ton almost killing me...or at least amputating my toes.

I'll be ordering a 12" jointer in the near future so I'll be dealing with the same problem.  I'll be getting the lift-gate service, then calling over a few buddies, feeding them pizza and beer, and we'll just kind of "slide" the beast into the shop where I'll uncrate it.  It's not something that two people can do.  Three guys would be minimum, four would be better, and six would be ideal.

• Like 1

A "brother-in-law" is not adequate help to lift a 700lb planer off a truck. :)   Planers come in one box, assembled, save for the extension wings.  They're very heavy.  I used a chain hoist to lift mine off my trailer...that's an option if you have a place to mount it and you have enough overhead clearance to get into the shop.  I couldn't do it anymore the way my shop is currently arranged.  BTW, if you choose to buy a hoist from Harbor Freight, go with the 2 ton instead of the 1 ton.  It's been a few years, but I posted a thread about the 1 ton almost killing me...or at least amputating my toes.

I'll be ordering a 12" jointer in the near future so I'll be dealing with the same problem.  I'll be getting the lift-gate service, then calling over a few buddies, feeding them pizza and beer, and we'll just kind of "slide" the beast into the shop where I'll uncrate it.  It's not something that two people can do.  Three guys would be minimum, four would be better, and six would be ideal.

You haven't seen my brother-in-law. Besides he's a farmer and these guys can figure out a way to do damn near anything. I'm no dummy(only my opinion) but you put something in front of a farmer and he won't quit til it's done.

:lol: Freddie.

Yeah, the jointer comes in two boxes, though.  I moved mine with a buddy as well.  The planer is a different story...it comes mostly as one bulky and heavy as hell package on a skid.  I would strongly urge you not to attempt lifting one of them out of the back of a truck with only two guys...even if one of them is a farmer.  I'd hesitate trying it with four guys.  You risk doing serious damage to your brand new tool, not to mention the potential serious complications with your anus.

Eric, I wasn't insinuating that my BIL is some kind of behemoth although he is a big guy. What I was saying is there is more than one way to unload a 700lb. planer. Using brute strength is not too smart or safe. If you use your head and apply the proper lever or ramp setup I'm sure you could safely slide the equipment right off the truck and onto the floor of the shop. Yeah you could pay more for a fancy lift truck but that would take all the fun out of it. :D

Now when i bought my new 500lb jointer a few months ago, i brought it home from Grizzly on my little HarborFreight 4'x8' (flatbed) trailer.  Just wheeled the trailer into the garage, shut the garage door, and then unpacked/assembled it myself at my leisure, very carefully.  The trailer bed was just high enough that i could slide the 400lb jointer top onto the (wheeled) jointer base, after jacking the trailer up a bit.  Did it all myself, going slowly, carefully, and never actually lifting anything up.