Jewelry Box Concept

Janello

This is a concept I came up with for my next project that will be for daughter #2.

Some details about the concept.

The box will be made from purpleheart and flamed maple.

The flamed maple accents will include-bookmatched door insets, lid, dovetailed drawer sides. 

The drawer boxes will be affixed with 3/8 od stainless posts to give them a floating effect.

The center doors will be opened on a track that covers the drawer boxes when open, revealing the necklace holder that will be removable to access a "secret compartment" behind it. 

The inlay over the bookmatched maple will consist of wenge stem, and purpleheart roses.

All comments and suggestions welcome. : )

snip_zps7aaec70e.png

• Like 2

I really like the design. What are you thinking of doing for door knobs and drawer pulls?  From the drawing, it looks like you'll make a finger hole up top of each drawer. I think if the gap between the drawer boxes is enough, make the front of the drawer have a lip on the bottom to open the drawer without a pull or finger hole distracting from the flowing grain on the drawer fronts.  For the center doors, instead of a pull or hole, maybe get a metal butterfly and metal bee. Mount them on the marquetry, one on each door.  Dunno, just a thought.

Good advice Paul, I'll definitely consider that as an option! I went with the pull holes as not to have anything obtrusive for the sliding doors. 

Thanks Freddie. In the drawing you can see the posts (there will be 2 on each drawer box) but I plan to set them back far enough that they only come into view as you approach the front. 

After posting, I was thinking the drawer fronts would look great with a very straight grained wood set vertically. I guess I'm thinking it will "frame" the marquetry without being a frame.  Something like straight grain Fir would be nice or at least that type of straight grain wood.

That is an awesome design, I can't wait to see the execution!

Are the floating drawers supposed to be 2 different sizes? Can't tell if what I see is just an illusion. If graduated sizes are your intention, I think it would flow a touch better to have an intermediate size in the middle. What I see seems a little abrupt.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got started. I got the purpleheart boards from Willard brothers in trenton NJ. Nice folks over there and great selection of exotic hardwoods and live edge slabs! I made sure I got way more than I needed, because you can never have to much purpleheart laying around!

I got some 8/4 not because I needed it but because I liked the grain on it and I wanted to get better at resawing. No sense having a new band saw and not using it.

I refined the box to have 4 drawers on each side and made a subtle change to the base. Started milling and cutting material for the outer drawer boxes. 

20140112_133515_resized_zpsef14f4ba.jpg

20140112_133401_resized_zpsed35d7e3.jpg

20140107_063401_resized_zpsb768e752.jpg

• Like 1

John, I'm fairly confident the design will work, but won't argue with your logic, it's definitely worth mocking one up.

I plan to use (2) 3/8od stainless tubes x 1/4 long as a spacer/support sleeves per box. A s/s 1/4-20 stove bolt slides right inside nicely from the inside behind the necklace holder and I'll catch the drawer boxes with t-nuts. I will likely use a small washer to prevent the tubing from cutting into the wood. 

One thing that I am toying with is changing the spacing between box frame and individual boxes from 1/4" to 3/8 or even half inch. I'm a little concerned that 1/4" won't give the visual effect that I am after, that they are floating. The challenge with that is; every inch counts when trying to keep this jewelry box small enough to put on a dresser and not look like a dresser itself! As it is with the 1/4" spacing the box is approx 15" wide x 18" tall x 7" deep.

Unrelated question: can I somehow post thumbnails from photo bucket instead of those enormous pics??

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

How did I miss this thread?

Wonderful concept and great job so far. "Good on ya" for getting back to it.

I thought the rose inlay looked pretty darned good in your mock-up earlier. The way the stem lines up with the wood grain has excellent flow and feels very "organic" to me (if that makes any sense).

Working with those puny parts must be a challenge in itself.

Edited by davewyo
edited for spelling