Wall Hanging Cabinet (sort of)

chrisphr

Made some shop cabinets that are based on this guild build. Since this is my first woodworking project my goal was #1 to learn some woodworking skills and a distant 2nd to get some cabinets. Virtually everything was a first time to me, from milling to finishing. Even made some jigs along the way including a cross cut sled (my favorite tool). All possible using Marc's guild videos plus the huge amount of advice I got on this forum, thanks everyone!

Used cheap construction lumber (once again, this was a practice project), the wood is presumed to be spruce (called white wood at the store), the ply for the doors is birch. Finished with 4 coats of matte water base poly (sprayed). Used butt hinges instead of knife.

post-14334-0-18255700-1388842547_thumb.jpost-14334-0-54273000-1388842588_thumb.jpost-14334-0-60357700-1388842623_thumb.j

I also made 4 of the pocket screw versions, because at the end of the day, I did need some cabinets. Three of them got euro hinges, the last one you see without a door I plan to make something special for doors with some additional tool storage, similar to the hanging tool cabinet Marc built.

post-14334-0-70169500-1388842920_thumb.j

Now I need to get ahold of some hardwood and do some woodworking for real-sies. :-).

Next on the list is a mission coffee table.

Made some shop cabinets that are based on this guild build. Since this is my first woodworking project my goal was #1 to learn some woodworking skills and a distant 2nd to get some cabinets. Virtually everything was a first time to me, from milling to finishing. Even made some jigs along the way including a cross cut sled (my favorite tool). All possible using Marc's guild videos plus the huge amount of advice I got on this forum, thanks everyone!

Used cheap construction lumber (once again, this was a practice project), the wood is presumed to be spruce (called white wood at the store), the ply for the doors is birch. Finished with 4 coats of matte water base poly (sprayed). Used butt hinges instead of knife.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I also made 4 of the pocket screw versions, because at the end of the day, I did need some cabinets. Three of them got euro hinges, the last one you see without a door I plan to make something special for doors with some additional tool storage, similar to the hanging tool cabinet Marc built.

image.jpg

Now I need to get ahold of some hardwood and do some woodworking for real-sies. :-).

Next on the list is a mission coffee table.

Which guild build was this?

Which guild build was this?

Dovetails. Loosely based upon the wall hanging cabinet build. My version is bigger, uses butt hinges instead of knife hinges, and is made of cheap lumber since they were built for garage storage. Just a "practice project" before I try making some furniture for indoors.

Dovetails. Loosely based upon the wall hanging cabinet build. My version is bigger, uses butt hinges instead of knife hinges, and is made of cheap lumber since they were built for garage storage. Just a "practice project" before I try making some furniture for indoors.

I might try a cheap version. Just have to buy the build first. Except I have no idea how to cut dovetails.

In retrospect, it turned out so well following the guild videos, I wish I had used hardwood. The time you put into it, particularly your first project will likely eclipse the extra cost of getting good lumber. I used an akeda dovetail jig, I think Marc used a Leigh jig. With a jig, cutting the dovetails is not too much harder than following the jig's instructions and making a couple practice runs. Once I had the setup right, I cut the dovetails and pins for all three cabinets in maybe an hour or two.

In retrospect, it turned out so well following the guild videos, I wish I had used hardwood. The time you put into it, particularly your first project will likely eclipse the extra cost of getting good lumber. I used an akeda dovetail jig, I think Marc used a Leigh jig. With a jig, cutting the dovetails is not too much harder than following the jig's instructions and making a couple practice runs. Once I had the setup right, I cut the dovetails and pins for all three cabinets in maybe an hour or two.

Well I guess I will be getting it soon. He did do 2 versions of it right? A pocket hole and a more complex?

• 8 months later...