Table saw fence system

Aaron1883

Hello all,

First time member here and new to woodworking. I recently was given a Vega 40 table saw fence system for Christmas for my newer Craftsman table saw. In looking through the instructions and after trying to attach it to my Portable Craftsman 10" table saw found out that it won't work. The current fence track is part of the main table with no holes or space to drill holes to attach the Vega 40 system too. I have tried to contact Vega woodworking but have gotten responses telling me to call their 1-800 number, which no one answers or has returned my phone calls.

I am about ready to send it back and find something else but I am not sure what else is out there and with how vague Vega was on the Craftsman saws it works for I wanted to know if someone else has run into this problem or has a newer Craftsman TS like mine http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inch-portable-table-saw/p-00934972000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=00934972000&kispla=00934972000P .

AW

I'm not trying to be a jerk but why would you want to put a $250 fence on a $200 table saw? From looking at the reviews, you would be better off investing in a used better quality saw. There are also several several contractor type saws that have better fences and standard miter slots. If you are going to do woodworking as a hobby you will. to be happy with your current saw. I am not a Crastman hater but this saw does not seem to fit your needs.

BRuce

You have a really nice fence and would be perfect on a larger saw... The saw you have is nice and is very similar to the one I  started with.... There are several classifications of table saws, cheap (POS), job site, contractor, hybrid, cabinet, industrial cabinet saws, sliding table saws, etc...  What you have is a job site saw, made to be put in a truck and easily moved to a job site.  For what it's worth I would keep your current saw because they always come in handy, keep the vega fence and buy a different table saw that is made to accept the new fence... You are going to want to find a saw that has a cast iron top and they normally have a table depth of 27 inches... these saw can be found used for a good price especially since you already have a fence to bolt on... Most fence systems that come with contractor and hybrid saws leave something to be desired.  Hope this helps!

I am in the "My fence cost more than my saw club" because of a great deal I got on a grizzly hybrid. I would have to spend quite a bit more money to get what I would consider to be a better TS (Until I am ready to drop a couple grand on a sawstop, I am sticking with my $150 grizzly and $300 fence)

You could likely sell your portable TS for $100 - $150 and spend not that much more to get a contractor or hybrid saw.

I am in the "My fence cost more than my saw club" because of a great deal I got on a grizzly hybrid. I would have to spend quite a bit more money to get what I would consider to be a better TS (Until I am ready to drop a couple grand on a sawstop, I am sticking with my $150 grizzly and $300 fence)

You could likely sell your portable TS for $100 - $150 and spend not that much more to get a contractor or hybrid saw.

Nothing wrong with that! I like the way you think.

At the time the all I could afford was the portable and I just stuck with it. The Vega was a gift from my parents and in-laws. I was thinking of selling both and upgrading to a contractor saw but have run into a problem with that idea. Is the Vega system better than contractor level saws? I don't want to sell the Vega and upgrade my saw but still have the same problem of inaccurate cuts. I have looked on the local craigslist and the pickings are pretty slim in the used saw market.\\

Any ideas or recommendations for saws around $1000?

At the time the all I could afford was the portable and I just stuck with it. The Vega was a gift from my parents and in-laws. I was thinking of selling both and upgrading to a contractor saw but have run into a problem with that idea. Is the Vega system better than contractor level saws? I don't want to sell the Vega and upgrade my saw but still have the same problem of inaccurate cuts. I have looked on the local craigslist and the pickings are pretty slim in the used saw market.\\

Any ideas or recommendations for saws around $1000?

Buy a used saw off of craigslist. You won't need to spend nearly that much. The Vega is a better fence than you will find on anything other than a good cabinet saw.