A bar that I did before the storm claimed all the oak

Freddie

I was scrolling through old photo albums on the mac and found a couple of quick videos of a walkthrough I did during a bar remodel. Shortly after this video Hurricane sandy undid everything I had done. Bar was redone after the storm in mostly pvc trim to look like the former, yet more water friendly.

Hi Freddie,

May I ask how you built out the decorative pillars under the beam against the walls?    

I have an I-beam (about 10 ft) that runs the width of my basement (small split-level) and I plan to finish the end walls with decorative pillars and capitals.

Also I've seen many ways of casing an I-beam in finish ply (10ft length use a scarf joint?) by first building the box and then installing it over the beam.  

How would you install the box over the beam.  Do you adhere a 2X4 to the bottom of the beam, attach 2X2s on both sides where the beam meets the ceiling joist, then attach the box over that?  The trick is getting the right fit.

That's some very nice millwork, very sharp.       

You're a fine finish carpenter, Freddie.  Must have been a kick in the gut when Sandy undid all your good work.  You need to hop a train back to MO and school me on some wainscoting...I got a bar in the works in my basement.  Thinking mahogany.  Lots of mahogany. :)

• Like 1

Byrdie, are you referring to the ceiling in the green room? Those are staple in ceiling tiles, 1x12. That ceiling had a huge bow in the middle of the room so i sistered beams to flatten the ceiling(extremely flat it came out) and placed furring strips perpendicular to the joists as nailers for the tiles. I love the way that ceiling came out. It was a cream color so i took a tile to benjamin moore and matched the trim color for the rest of the room.

Byrdie, are you referring to the ceiling in the green room? Those are staple in ceiling tiles, 1x12. That ceiling had a huge bow in the middle of the room so i sistered beams to flatten the ceiling(extremely flat it came out) and placed furring strips perpendicular to the joists as nailers for the tiles. I love the way that ceiling came out. It was a cream color so i took a tile to benjamin moore and matched the trim color for the rest of the room.

Yup - the second video, down the hallway and into the other room.  Around here there's a lot of older homes and business (particularly restaurants) that has 12" square metal ceilings with patterns impressed in them.  Some are more ornate than others, some are painted and others are polished and varnished.  We call them "tin" ceilings but they're actually steel.

This link will show what I'm talking about:

http://www.americantinceilings.com/

Yes i am familiar with the tin ceilings. The tiles we used are made of that homisote style stuff or whatever regular ceiling tiles are made of. Good thing is they have an absorbancy factor for sound instead of reflecting it back to the next surface. They are expensive but very beautiful.