The Deals Thread

Eric.

Thought it would be cool to have a known place to post good deals (woodworking related, obviously) on anything you might stumble across.  Maybe we can get a mod to pin it if people like it.

So post your deals!

I'll start it off...think I might go get me a few of these myself...

http://www.lowes.com/pd_8542-46-GAWG28FDYG_0__?productId=3830573&rpp=48&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-4485850-_-1122587-_-10926682&AID=10926682&PID=4485850&SID=FFBPtnlaEeOBqsr2W9izewEjmA_q4vu3_0_0_0

883049251257.jpg

For anyone looking for an inexpensive sliding miter saw Harbor Freight is having a "blowout" sale this weekend.  Their 10" saw is on sale for $88.  Pair that with a 25% off coupon in WOOD mag and you can get it for $66. 

FYI...that was one short-lived sale...for anyone who clicks on the link, they were down to $89...for about 15 minutes apparently.  Never mind at this point.  The good news is, Gladiators times tres on the way to yours truly.  Booyah!  What kind of woodworker builds his own cabinets? :rolleyes:

FYI...that was one short-lived sale...for anyone who clicks on the link, they were down to $89...for about 15 minutes apparently.  Never mind at this point.  The good news is, Gladiators times tres on the way to yours truly.  Booyah!  What kind of woodworker builds his own cabinets? :rolleyes:

Still down to $89 for me, too.

• Like 1

If you are not familiar with camelcamelcamel.com you should check it out. It gives you historical prices on Amazon and some third party sites. You can setup triggers to notify you when an item reaches a target price. 

I use C3 all the time, but as a seller, mostly to check sales rank on items.  The notifications are handy for consumers, but the prices are often deceiving because they use the lowest price without shipping.  Often, third-party non-FBA sellers think they're clever by dropping their asking price way low and inflating their shipping price way high...which isn't reflected in C3 (and doesn't fool anyone).  If Amazon is a seller of a particular item, look at the green line on the graph...their historical prices give you a more realistic idea of what you should want to pay.

You see those ridiculous prices all the time on Amazon.  I've always wondered why sellers do that.  Listings are free, but still, why even waste your time?

Company A decides to base their prices on Company B.  For example, their Amazon price will be 5% less than Company B sells it on their web site.  And they set up up a computer program to update the prices automatically when company B changes them.

Then Company B notices that A is selling the clamp on Amazon, and decides to automatically adjust their prices on their web site to stay competitive.  They set their price to be 7% more than Company A (they figure that their reputation, customer service, etc is worth something). 

So the price goes up 2% with each cycle, and it can cycle pretty fast.

I don't know if that happened here, but I know that it's one cause of ridiculously high prices.

• Like 1

I think it's actually a hand-crafted infill clamp made from Damascus bronze and Madagascar bloodwood—so the price seems fair. :)

Company A decides to base their prices on Company B.  For example, their Amazon price will be 5% less than Company B sells it on their web site.  And they set up up a computer program to update the prices automatically when company B changes them.

Then Company B notices that A is selling the clamp on Amazon, and decides to automatically adjust their prices on their web site to stay competitive.  They set their price to be 7% more than Company A (they figure that their reputation, customer service, etc is worth something). 

So the price goes up 2% with each cycle, and it can cycle pretty fast.

I don't know if that happened here, but I know that it's one cause of ridiculously high prices.

Another Gladiator deal...this time for the 30", $119 down from $239, from Sears.  Personally I think the 28" from Lowes for $89 is a better deal, but if you really need that extra 2", it's still a good price.  These are quality cabinets if you don't have the time or interest in building your own...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959036000P?sid=IMx20120601x002000-Tools-abcart

• 8 months later...

Gone...showing over 300. =(    I should not have hesitated...  Kiki I'm surprised you'd be pro-buying such things...or does shop furniture occupy the bottom of the barrel with jigs from your perspective?   That beautiful sharpening station seems in stark contrast to steel cabinets from a big box store. =p

• Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 54 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Thanikanan
    Newest Member
    Thanikanan