Careers advice -- UK

Verdi

Hi all,

At a bit of a crossroads on my life and hoping to shed some light on a possible path.

I'm 25 now and haven't really got a marketable skill that's going to enable me to start a career in something more fulfilling than face-to-face jobs, such as retail.

While I enjoy meeting new people and smiling at yelling customers whilst thinking what an utter c**t they are for being so arrogant, I'd like to move into something that will help put more money in my pocket so I can start thinking about moving out and starting a life instead of just 'surviving' whilst telling myself independence is awesome despite 90% of my wage going on living expenses.

So anyway, about myself. I'm quite technically minded but I struggle to learn from books. I've not been diagnosed as dyslexic, but I'm pretty sure I am.

I learn a lot easier by doing things hands-on. Once I've done it once it normally sticks in my mind and I remember. I've been told I'm a faster learner, but again, that typically comes down to doing things physically rather than reading it out of a book.

I can understand difficult things, but it often times requires someone to speak to me as though I have an IQ lower than my shoe size. But whatever gets the job done and I'm not too proud to admit it and I'm more than happy to learn.

So woodworking... Well as a kid I often times spent a lot of time in the shed making things with my grandfathers. One has essentially be immobilized by an infection he got in hospital of all places, that coupled with arthritis that they can't treat because of the fallout from the infection and the drugs he has to take to combat it, safe to say we don't work in the shed anymore.

My other grandfather sadly passed away last August, so that one's quite self-explanatory.

I don't have much knowledge when it comes to some of the more technical things, but I do know that I've always enjoyed working with my hands, I love making things and I love knowing things that make me more self-sufficient.

So career wise... I don't know exactly what I want to do. I guess first stop would be taking carpentry courses? I don't know many places that would hire a 25-year-old apprentice, but I can't help but worry that the courses alone without practical hands-on experience in a work place isn't going to look so good either.

Sorry if it's all a jumble, but I'd appreciate you feedback and any advice.

Cheers,

Mike.

Welcome to the forums Mike!

Best advice would be to set up shop and tackle a few projects.  Learn the safe way to handle and operate the tools first and then start making some shop furniture.  If you screw it up, it's shop furniture, no big deal.  The important thing is that you learn from each piece.

Good luck, you're still very young!

Hi Verdi,

Had a similar UK post recently, I think the response was broadly in line with your question

"

Josh yes we do and we have two at the present time, one of their experiences can be found here . At the present time we have all we need. The UK still offers many apprentice oppertunties for young people. Many will deride the slip in standards as they see it, however, as anything in life you get out what you put in. If you want to get working at a bench getting a job as a Joiner will be your easiest route. Traditional cabinet making can be done too but your are moving closer to "art" and with that comes the chance of making a living are very slim. And besides many small joinery businesses make furniture, built in units and kitchens too.

The CITB would be a good place to start. Although the CITB are construction based, joinery is classed as construction, even though in my opinion it is more like manafacturing. They will put you in touch with your local rep. Also, your local College would be a good place to start looking. Also search for "joiner's" in your area. If you want a job offer yourself up for free work experience, if even one takes you up on it grasp it. Be polite, tidy and on time, help and be interested but don't get in the way and try to be part of the team. Practice in your own time too, make some stuff for the family, even if it ends up junk, make the basic mistakes in your time so you demonstrate some skill when you get some work experience.

Did you order the QS LAJ from WSH. The main benefit is they have 3 blades with that thing, if you buy a Stanley or buy the QS from Rutlands you will only get one. To make the best out of a LAJ the 3 blades (IMO) would be a huge help.

Bet of luck :-)"

I'm dyslexic - diagnosed and official.  It's both a blessing and a curse.  The curse is that for me school was really difficult.  The blessing is that "how things fit together" is really easy for me, whether it's wood working or systems design.

Starting out in a new career is hard work, but the effort you put in now pays off throughout your life. 

Best of luck!

• Like 1

I'm dyslexic - diagnosed and official.  It's both a blessing and a curse.  The curse is that for me school was really difficult.  The blessing is that "how things fit together" is really easy for me, whether it's wood working or systems design.

Starting out in a new career is hard work, but the effort you put in now pays off throughout your life. 

Best of luck!

I struggled in school as well. I often refused to do something instead of failing at it, was too embarrassed to talk about why and ended up being the class as**ole.

But yeah I'm the same in the sense that working with my hands seems a lot easier and a lot better for learning and retention of that information.

Thanks all for the replies.

Just spoke to the local college and they said they do a few courses that are a year each that offer qualifications as an entry to the industry, so will look into that more closer to the time.

They also do apprenticeships, but I'm not sure if many places will take on a 25-year-old considering they have to pay more and likely like the luxury of treating people like crap who don't think twice because they don't know any better lol.

I guess I'll keep on keeping on and see what comes of it closer to the time.