Putting a tenon on the end of a dowel

krtwood

A quickly cobbled together jig to put tenons on the end of some 3/16" dowels using the table saw.  The jig has two different positions to put a second tenon on a short length so I could still turn it without getting near the blade.  I do have a lathe, but I thought this was an easier way to get repeatable results.  I needed 8 of these for a set of dollhouse size chairs.

post-13721-0-10722000-1390072011_thumb.jpost-13721-0-25284100-1390072567_thumb.j

And a short video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kplGrgbtw

How would you do it?

cool little jig. You might consider a plexi-glass cover screw'd over the opening, If the little bugger gets away it could easily wind up under safety glasses.

If I wasn't fixing to return these scraps to where they came from I might do that, but I did stand off to the left while doing it.  It's not like you really need to see what's going on.  Stick in the dowel, move it up, spin.  The only tricky part is getting the blade height dialed in.

I can't say I've ever run into needing something like that but, fantastic idea!  One to tuck away in the storage banks for sure!  Nicely done!

Yeah, up until this I can't say I've ever had such a need and can't think of when I might need it again.  With chair parts, but generally you want to do more to the part than just put a tenon on the end.  In this case if I had tried to do it on the lathe I would have felt obligated to start making it fancier and my one day project would have turned into 3 days or more.  However, I do expect to need to make a big 10-12" diameter by 8" tall roller for a future project and my lathe only has a 10" swing so with the tool rest that ain't happening.  I think I know how to true it up now :)

Yeah, up until this I can't say I've ever had such a need and can't think of when I might need it again.  With chair parts, but generally you want to do more to the part than just put a tenon on the end.  In this case if I had tried to do it on the lathe I would have felt obligated to start making it fancier and my one day project would have turned into 3 days or more.  However, I do expect to need to make a big 10-12" diameter by 8" tall roller for a future project and my lathe only has a 10" swing so with the tool rest that ain't happening.  I think I know how to true it up now :)

Nice test run for a future project!  Awesome "thinking outside the box"!