Incra!

Llama

Everyone who has an incra miter gauge loves them. I had one and had the absolute worst time trying to get it calibrated. I was making picture frames and couldn't get the corner perfect to save my life. I ended up getting an osborne miter gauge because of its ease of calibration. But the osborne doesn't seem to hold the calibration as well as I would hope.

I got one on a Rockler sale a few Black Fridays ago and it's pretty sweet. But since then, I built a crosscut sled and more recently got a miter saw, so the Incra tends to collect dust. But it's not going anywhere, that Incra 1000HD is the Rolls Royce of miter gauges.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  Mine gets most of its using when I'm cutting tenons on the TS.  And now that I think about it, that's about it.

Fortunately PM sends out a good miter gauge with their shapers and saws. Ive since added two more PM factory ones that I just leave locked left and right at 45's leaving me with two locked at 90. We have a surplus place here local that I can buy all the factory PM ones I want for next to nothing.

My miter gauge arrived today around noon while I was at work! Very fast! I paid the extra $6 to have it here today instead of tomorrow.. Mainly just to see if the $6 would really get it here that quickly. And testing that timer that Amazon gives you. I think it had around 5 minutes left when I put the order in.

Anyway, gauge arrived safely! Didn't get a chance to at with it tonight because I was making reindeer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Is this better than building a crosscut sled yourself. I've been debating on building one or buying an incra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miter gauge and crosscut sled are two different tools that do different things with some crossover in the middle.  They both make 90* crosscuts, but only the miter gauge can do miters, unless you set up an auxiliary fence on the sled...and then you're still limited to a single degree...unless you build 89 fences :blink:  or a fence that is adjustable...and sure to be inaccurate.

Aside from that, I find the crosscut sled to be a much more versatile and accurate tool, and easier to set up for repeatability  It doesn't have to be calibrated once it's set...just check it once in a while to make sure things haven't moved.

Common sense says having both is best.  Mel's got you a good deal on a good gauge, and a sled can be built for nearly free with scraps lying around the shop.  No point in limiting yourself. :)