I thought I would introduce myself to the forum.

Dathan Swick

Well, I am a novice wood worker, I needed a hobby after my wife told me drag racing is not a good hobby for a married, father, that and she said it was way to expensive! So I started messing around in the garage making random stuff, for my son's room on a ridgid 4510 portable table saw and a Porter Cable 890 router.  since I started I always wanted a bigger table saw, but the compactness of the rigid 4510 sold me on it, it was perfect for the small space I have in my garage. 

Well today I found a NEW rigid 4511 for sale on Craigslist, with ONE glaring issue, main top is broken in 4 pieces! However the price was right, $75 bucks. I took a chance and bought it, in the hopes that one of my friends who fabricates granite countertops can fix or make me a replacement. I called the local ridgid repair place and they can get me a new one for about 400 bucks, but I may as well sell the saw for parts and buy a brand new saw. 

Anyway enough rambling, I just wanted to say Hello and introduce myself to all of you. 

And if you have any suggestions on my basket case of a saw, I am all ears! I will post pictures in the morning. 

Thanks everyone. 

Dathan

Some broken granite shouldn't be too big of a problem for Superman.  Just squeeze it back together and turn it into marble the way the earth does.

Welcome to the forum, Dathan.  You traded in one expensive hobby for another.  But I won't tell your wife.

I'd sell all the Ridgid parts in your shop and buy a cabinet saw. :)

• Like 1

Eric, why should I sell all my ridgid stuff? What do you have against it? BTW the saw I bought is made by Steel City, its not a cheap saw. 

Thank you for the welcome guys, I look forward to reading a lot, and learning and trying new things.  I did call Steel City and they have a top for $240, with about a 100 bucks in shipping, I can have a new top. 

I haven't taken to my buddy, he is confident he can fix, but this is not a counter top, its a table saw with 35 pounds of extension wings on each side. I am going to talk to him and see what can be done. 

I will keep you guys updated on what happens. 

wtnhighlander, my friend runs a granite fabrication company, he plans on repairing, I can take pictures of the under side in the morning. I understand the concerns about flatness. add to that the fact that the granite wings way about 35 pounds a piece. where it is broken is right on an insert to hold the bolt. I am not to confident. I can have it fixed and have it be 95% or better. I am torn on spending a 100 bucks to fix it or spend 240 on a brand new one.  

wtnhighlander, my friend runs a granite fabrication company, he plans on repairing, I can take pictures of the under side in the morning. I understand the concerns about flatness. add to that the fact that the granite wings way about 35 pounds a piece. where it is broken is right on an insert to hold the bolt. I am not to confident. I can have it fixed and have it be 95% or better. I am torn on spending a 100 bucks to fix it or spend 240 on a brand new one.  

Only you and your budget can answer that question.  If it were me, I'd buy a new one instead on taking a chance.

that is the way I am currently leaning. It is really the only way to ensure the saw performs. that and there is already enough issues with using a table saw. I dont need broken granite added to the mix. 

Yep..  Everyone's budget is different tho.  It's amazing how much budget drives many every day decisions!

I don't have a problem with Ridgid, I have a problem with small saws.  A lot of guys use them forever and are happy as clams.  I personally prefer cabinet saws for the extra power and capacity.  If your investment in this Ridgid is going to be up near $500, I'd be looking for a used cabinet saw instead.  You asked for suggestions. :)

Paul, its the bungs under it, and on the sides that worry me about having one fabbed up in replacement. Like I said on monday i will talk to my friend. see what he says, He said about 80 to fix it, figure double that or more to fab up the top? I have seen the price list for counter tops It gets expensive when you start adding cut outs, bullnoses or other trim pieces.  Either way I wont know till I ask. 

Eric, I understand where you are coming, and believe me I looked I check CL and backpage everyday looking for exactly what you are talking about, and if the budget is 500, There is not a lot out there. This is a good happy medium. Also selling it for parts is still an option, and keep looking.