Permanent steady rest

duckkisser

I have the pen state steady rest. And it works well enough but it's kind of a pain to set up each time I want to use it. It attaches to the split bed of my lathe but every time I use it I waste lots of time hooking it up and lining it up. So I had thought why not mount it just behind my lathe on some kind of bed or track that way I can just slide it down to where I want it and I won't have to hook it up or move it every time I need to adjust where my tool rest is. Anyone have any ideas or seen something similar somewhere?

Here is the steady I have.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-LSR3-Lathe-Steady/dp/B00AO01JII

Do you spend most of the time attaching it or setting it up? Putting it on a separate track would not solve the setup issue since the size of the piece will change with every project.

BRuce

attaching it.  i have to hold the bottom bar in place with one hand and then line up the top part and finally i have to screw in the bolt. just a hassle. 

This is the rest I went with Carter MultiRest. At first I figured on making my own but didn't have the time. It is very easy to put on or take off; only takes a minute.

dont really want to buy a new one especially one that cost 400 dollars.  rather figure out a way to keep this one set up all the time then i just have to slide it in place and start turning. plus with those types of steady rests i would still need to hook it up and unhook it to move my tool rest over when i am turning long spindles like canes. 

I just watched a iTunes video last week, I will try and find the link. He used a spacer that was the same diameter as the space between the bed rails and the same thickness. He then used a locking block that was oval in shape. Narrow direction was the Sam as the rail spacing and the long dimension was about 1.5 times the rial spacing. He also used a knob on the top so he didn't have to reach underneath.

Let me look around

BRuce