16mm fingernail grind for small lathe ?

Guillaume Breton

hello all.

I recently bought my 1st lathe and i'm bulding my tool collection.

i still need a nice versatile bowl gouge.

i work for a company through which i can get the Stubai tools.

in stock, they have the 7010 16mm bowl gouge, fingernail grind.

its pretty big, but i could get it for 100$ (instead of 155$ retail)

what do you guys think ?

Nr. 7010 STUBAI - Bowl Gouges, deep fluted

post-7625-0-87119700-1390866303_thumb.gipost-7625-0-45244200-1390866304_thumb.jp

that's my lathe, 12 in max (6in from shaft to rail)

post-7625-0-28059500-1390866361_thumb.jp

thanks for the advice.  I think they are grteat quality tools, i've turned before im not a beginner, but i never owned tools myself (school)

i would make a sharpening jig to keep that fingernail grind sharp, sharpening is not an issue

thanks.  My question was more about if the 16mm (5/8) gouge is to "big" for a small lathe since i can'T turn anything above 12 inches.

are there any disadvantages of getting a bigger gouge vs a small one, if the motor is strong enough ?

ty

the other option would be to try and get a "starter" kit from lee valley probably

something like that one

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=56745&cat=1,330,49233&ap=1

any comments ?

depends on what you mean by bigger i have a 1/2 inch bowl gouge but its got a long handle on it.  the flute is around 7 inches long and that is fine.  take me decades to grind that down to too short.what i bought it for was the long handle. here is the tool that i have and robert sorby is a quality steel for turning.     http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/7/2/31/129/-/950/Robert-Sorby-M2-HSS-Bowl-Gouge

what i would sugest is that you get your tools with long handles. or get handle less tools then make your own long handles.  a long handle like a 2ft handle will allow you to brace the tool on your hip for better control and more stability. plus your hands and arms wont get as tired from trying to control a short tool your hips will do the work.  if the tail stock gets in the way when you are turning in side bowls you will probably have to take the tail stock off to fit the length of your tool. and you can make your own tools easily you just need high speed tool steel if you dont have the set up for making gouges you can at least make your own scrapers, parting tools, ect.... if you want to go down that route let me know i have some information that would be useful to you.

as for your question about power i think that lathe has a 1/2 hp motor that is plenty for most stuff just be aware that if your blade is dull your lathe cant power through a catch as easily as a lathe with more hp.  your lathe might bind up or pull the wood off and the larger your tool the more surface your cutting with.  so keep the blade sharp dont let it get too dull.  but thats true for any lathe no matter the power. i watched a turner use a mini  lathe with a 1/4 hp motor and use use a 1 1/2 inch roughing gouge on it with no problems.  and the old trendle lathes spun only as fast as you could pedle the machine and they use all kinds of tools on those to turn wood.