Lifehacker's suggestion for removing "heat stains"

shutton

I saw this come through one of my news feeds today:

Remove Heat Stains from Wood Tables with an Iron and Olive Oil

Does this even remotely make sense to anyone?  Perhaps on an oil-finished surface, but polyurethane or acrylic?

No table in my house ever sees a hot item without a coaster, so I wouldn't know first-hand what a "heat stain" would be.  On poly, it would probably be softened and deformed finish.  Not sure what would happen to acrylic.  And on an oil finish?  I'm guessing that's actually burned finish, depending on how hot the offender was.

For that matter, heat isn't a part of any finish I've ever heard of, though this is, admittedly, discussing a post-cure fix.

Methinks this merits a little research, and likely some debunking on that page before people go thinking they can ditch their coasters.

Well  after 40 + years of doing woodwork and finishing, I can assure you this work's. I learned it from a couple of old timers. They did antique restoration and built repros for museums all over the world, this was just a " matter of fact" . of how we handled the issue.

My name is Charles Neil ... Google it .. if you think im stupid enough to produce a video of something  that I dont know for a fact to be true , think again.

Charles Im pretty sure he was referring to the OP post about olive oil and the iron. Your video is on the money we have been doing this with fire, light bulbs and blow driers for decades.

• Like 2

My apologies are in order and offered.. My misunderstanding .

Ace,  I don't know what Shannon did .. I see nothing posted ... I think he was a bit nervous about the fire thing, In which case he might try the oil and iron... But I think he mentioned  trying the Mayo first... I have many say it works,  It never has for me.. It does have some sort of oil in it , and if there was some heat it may , I just never messed with it enough to see.. The fire thing was just too quick and easy .

• Like 1

My apologies are in order and offered.. My misunderstanding .

Ace,  I don't know what Shannon did .. I see nothing posted ... I think he was a bit nervous about the fire thing, In which case he might try the oil and iron... But I think he mentioned  trying the Mayo first... I have many say it works,  It never has for me.. It does have some sort of oil in it , and if there was some heat it may , I just never messed with it enough to see.. The fire thing was just too quick and easy .

Don't worry about it. Yes, I have Googled you previously.  ;) Nice to see you on the forum, hopefully I can learn a lot.

• Like 1