Heating options for 30x40 pole barn?

estesbubba

I'm getting closer to possibly builiding a 30x40 pole barn for my shop. It will have a 10' ceiling and the walls and ceiling will be insulated. Generally I would like to keep the temperature around 40-45 while not in there and heat it to around 55-60 when working in there. I also plan to spray waterbornes so I'll occasionally need to heat it to 65+. 

What options would you recommend and do they need to be professionally installed? We live on an acreage and my propane tank is very close to my potential shop. 

My garage is a little smaller than yours.  I just had an estimate to have one of these installed, it was about $2000 installed.  Honestly I could do this myself (the unit itself is around $600) I just don't have the time.   My unit will be 60,000 btu/H, the next size up is 75,000 that is probably what you want.   Mine is natty gas but I'd be surprise if they don't make them in propane. 

http://www.comfortgurus.com/product_info.php/products_id/9701

I tried to have a similar unit installed. They would not give the installer a permit because I didn't have 14' ceilings. Something to think about or check on.

==>I also plan to spray waterbornes so I'll occasionally need to heat it to 65+. 

I'd partition the space to have a separate spray area that you can independently climate control... If you find you can't make that work in a 30x40 shell, then I'd go a bit bigger -- or do a bump-out. Yea, it's a bit more $$, but you can never really go wrong with a dedicated finishing space...

Interesting I don't have 14' ceilings, probably 12' at best.  The estimator didn't mention it, but its not new construction or anything like that so I doubt he will pull any permits.  And obviously codes differ.    The only thing he said is that particular unit can be mounted only needs a few inches of clearance between it and the ceiling.  he also recommended directly drawing fresh combustion air from the outside so as to not pull in any dust. 

Mine isn't new construction either it was just last month. All those heaters have a height requirements. The cheaper ones are usually pretty high. We special ordered one that would go into 9ft ceilings but was a double the money. Your LP or NG lines have to be pressure tested and you may have insurance issues without the proper permits. The one you linked to is the same 12' from bottom of unit.

I use a pellet stove to heat a pole building of similar size and love it!  You can install yourself without issue.

I usually spend $235.00 a year to heat my home and shop with pellets.

I wish I had room for a pellet stove. Sure beats paying the power or gas company. Propane is expensive I really haven't figured out if its any cheaper than electricity.

In floor heat!  My shop is 42x54 with 20' ceiling height.  I keep it at 65 and depending on propane prices my worst winter heating bill is under $300/mo. (In Northern Wisconsin).  It's been -30 lately :-)

Nice even temp, but it's best to set it and forget it.  It's not the kind of system that you turn down at night and crank up when needed.  Easy to install the coils but I would recommend having a plumber do the boiler hook-ups.  I have a triangle system boiler (high efficiency).

• Like 1

I wish I had room for a pellet stove. Sure beats paying the power or gas company. Propane is expensive I really haven't figured out if its any cheaper than electricity.

All depends on the price of propane..  I've been using pellets for about 10 years and the price has only moved about 20 dollars per ton.

I heat my 30x40 with the same furnace Woodsap speaks of. You can get them from Northern tool. I fill a 100 gallon tank annually ( about 350.00 ). I'm not out there everyday.

The barn was here when I got here but I converted it into a woodshop. My ceilings are open but spray insulated. If I were to change anything it would be to close in the ceilings so that the heat would stay lower to the floor. 

I have 550 sq ft. Detached 2 car garage with concrete block walls. 0 insulation, minimal air leakage 20 ft ceiling. I finally got around to hanging my 90k btu infrared propane heater in the ceiling and it made a huge difference as opposed to sitting on my metal shop cart in the corner. Instead of heating up the air, it heats up the floor and objects... They are mostly used commercially in hangers, warehouses, and loading docks. I mostly work with reclaimed wood so i'm not too concerned with conditioned air... Yet. I think it would be unsatisfactory for some of my finer woodworking friends. boatworks floor is a great idea however dont know what shape the OPs floor is in. Sent from my thumbs

In floor heat!  My shop is 42x54 with 20' ceiling height.  I keep it at 65 and depending on propane prices my worst winter heating bill is under $300/mo. (In Northern Wisconsin).  It's been -30 lately :-)

Nice even temp, but it's best to set it and forget it.  It's not the kind of system that you turn down at night and crank up when needed.  Easy to install the coils but I would recommend having a plumber do the boiler hook-ups.  I have a triangle system boiler (high efficiency).

Have any links to this type of system?

If you do a Google search for hydronic heat you'll be able to find enough reading material to waste an entire week :-)  It's basically hot water heat.  There are a number of ways to use this; hot water radiators that are mounted along the wall, coils that are run in the cement (which is what I have), steam, etc..  Here's a good starting point for materials, info, etc..  If installed correctly it's very efficient..

You were saying you didn't have room for a pellet stove. I am assuming you are talking about an indoor type. A lot of people around here have outdoor multi-fuel stoves. They are about the size of a small lawn shed. 6'x6'. They burn wood, wood pellets or corn. Heck some people heat their homes by burning their trash. They are boilers and your can pipe them into lines in the floor or radiators. I don't have one because I live in town and they won't allow it. My BIL heats his his huge shop and house on corn for little or nothing. Of course he farms 2500 acres of the stuff.

You were saying you didn't have room for a pellet stove. I am assuming you are talking about an indoor type. A lot of people around here have outdoor multi-fuel stoves. They are about the size of a small lawn shed. 6'x6'. They burn wood, wood pellets or corn. Heck some people heat their homes by burning their trash. They are boilers and your can pipe them into lines in the floor or radiators. I don't have one because I live in town and they won't allow it. My BIL heats his his huge shop and house on corn for little or nothing. Of course he farms 2500 acres of the stuff.

My new shop will be 30x40 so I should have plenty of room for a pellet stove. Is that a good option for a woodworking shop? That would definitely save money on running propane to the shop.

All I know is that my BIL loves his corn stove. His shop is probably 60' x 90'. He had insulation sprayed on the walls and the inside of the roof. It stays around 60 degrees inside all winter.He also heats his home with the same unit. He has a small bulk bin by the stove and it feeds itself out the the bin. The only maintenance is cleaning the cinders out once in a while. There is no fire hazard as the unit is outside. I don't know your situation but I would say I would have one if my city fathers would let me. I can't remember the brand name but the local dealer can't keep them in stock. If you want more info I will ask my BIL. 

Exterior boiler units are a product with a sad story. The original units exploded at many locations and achieved a reputation for danger. That reputation went away slowly. I think that a manufacturer or two sold for self installation or operators were exceeding some limitation. I agree that I have heard happy customers but I would make sure you do your homework. I wish I knew more to share, maybe someone else can comment.

This is a picture of my BIL's corn burner. It's made by Central Boiler Co. When I was out there to take photo it was -18 F. outside and 62 in his shop.

.88fb37a0-0498-4e46-a5dc-34853231e535_zps  

yeah, that is sweet! all of my neighbors have wood fired boilers. expensive up front but fuel is mostly free... geothermal heat pumps are cool too! 

• 5 years later...
On 1/31/2014 at 3:15 PM, Boatworks Today said:

I am in the planning stages of a 40x50x18 pole barn and am trying to figure out the best heating system. I was told that radiant floor heat will not work very good due to the tall ceiling's. Could you please provide a little more information on your system? i.e. insulation, vapor barrier, tubing size, etc...

If you have natural gas available, infra red is efficient. LP is next but a bit more expensive. IR heats the surroundings like the sun heats the inside of your car in winter. The dash is warm even though the air is cold. BTW,  I have seen some auto shops with IR pointing at each work station. It warms the floor which becomes a radiant heat. No matter which way you go, good luck. Wish I had half that floor space for my shop.

• Like 1

On 9/17/2019 at 9:28 AM, cleahey75 said:

I am in the planning stages of a 40x50x18 pole barn and am trying to figure out the best heating system. I was told that radiant floor heat will not work very good due to the tall ceiling's. Could you please provide a little more information on your system? i.e. insulation, vapor barrier, tubing size, etc...

Honestly I do not notice any temp difference from floor level to the upstairs.  That said all of the rooms upstairs do not have doors on them so air is able circulate freely.  Tubing used was 1/2" pex and run 12" apart except for around the perimeter where it was run 6" apart.  It's a Morton building so the walls are nearly 12" thick and I believe R-38.  Attic has about 3 feet or so of insulation blown in (I have to take the installers word on that since I'm not able to get up there lol)  But I can say I have zero ice buildup anywhere on the roof.  Boiler was originally a Triangle Tube but I would not recommend them.  Instead look into an IBC boiler made in Canada.  WAY better and more reliable.  

Only downside with in-floor is that it does take a while to heat up from cold but as long as you maintain a consistent temp day / night it's very efficient.  The slab I have is 6" thick with 2" foam beneath it so it stores a lot of heat. 

Hope this helps!.  

• Like 1