Crosscut sled

Dnorris1369

These are worth the cost.  I just wish they made some longer ones.  No worry about swelling, and last for decades.

http://www.incra.com/product_jfc_miterslider.htm  They've come out with some newer models since I bought the ones I'm using now.  If I was buying some now, I'd get these:  http://www.incrementaltools.com/INCRA_Miter_Slider_SE_25_5_p/ims2se.htm

I'd like to have one this fancy, but so far, it must not have been worth the time it takes to make one.  Something very simple can do a lot of accurate work.  http://www.incra.com/images/buildit_miterslider_pic2_zoom.jpg

I do recommend the 5 cut method.

While I was thinking about it, I found that Rockler offers some longer ones:http://www.rockler.com/rockler-18-24-aluminum-miter-bar

ERIC,

I think your earlier post was correct however, I think your second post with the diagram is exactly opposite of what you mean isn't it?

It seems to me that the expansion/contraction would be greater in what you call the "correct" orientation on the right side of the picture than it would be on the left side which you call  the wrong way to orient the grain.

I may be wrong on this. 

Rog 

I agree that MDF is too soft and will be ground away in no time. I use plastic runners and they work great. I also found that after attaching the runners that the sled tended to always bind up during the travel along the miter slots. Marc's technique using a sharpie to mark the sides of the runners to see where it is rubbing is a really good tip. If you have a shoulder plane you can easily cut away the offending areas. I made mine before i got a should plane and i used a chisel to scrap away the offending areas which worked well..

You need to add a caveat to this statement in my opinion. They work well if they are a really tight fit to the slot, if the slot is oversize, then you are relying on the nylon bushings to keep them snug. That can be a problem at times, because you might only have one or two in the slot.

Given the low cost of the Incra or other metal runners and the increased accuracy that is the way to go. I have several jigs with these on them, some get cannabilized for the next jig others get a new pair.

If you want great miter bars buy the rocklers. Take out the plastic screws and throw them away. Buy ball plungers to replace the plastic screws. The mistake people make with dual runner sleds is actually caring. What I mean is the only part that matters with a dual runner sled it the right side of the right bar and the left side of the left bar. Or the inside edge of each bar, the ball plungers prevent racking and reduce friction. For single runner sleds I would only use metal and just peen the edge with a punch. I do this with all my miter gauges and have for years and they stay perfect for many years.

Not sure of the brand of my runners, but they have a Allen adjustment that spreads the bar slightly until it fits snugly and still slides.

I just looked online and the Incra comes in 2 lengths 18" and 25" . The adjustment is not a nylon bushing sticking out, the bar gets wider as you tighten the Allen screw.

There is also a steel version that costs a bit more but unless you were planning on setting up a production run it is probably not what you need.

• 3 months later...