Feedback on New Table Saw

JoshC1501

Eric, how do you do a through mortise with square corners 2.5 - 3.5 inches deep with a domino? That's not a dig, I just don't see where you're going with the notion that a domino is capable of doing anything a HCM can do?

I wouldn't use a Domino for a through mortise.  I'd use a router and then I'd square it up with a chisel.  That's what I did on these...

walnuthalltable026.jpg

The HCM is indeed probably the best and fastest tool for that particular task...but if I had to choose between a Domino and a HCM, it's an easy decision...for me.  I didn't say the Domino can do everything a HCM can do...it can't make square holes.  I said it's a more versatile tool, and I truly believe that it is.

Josh the Main differences I see are that in the 690 series the motor is a Lesson, some folks like them I personally don`t. The motor is angled on the trunion and the trunion is not nearly as large as the 1023. If you talk to anyone at Grizzly or someone that has had one they all say pretty much the same things. It`s a great saw for the money and it`s the workhorse in the Grizzly line just shy of their Extreme series. I truly believe from here you have to go up to either a Sawstop or a Powermatic to get more. Just remember that they are "all" either made or "mostly" in China now. The motor in the 1023 if it ever has a problem years down the road parts are available in the US, not so with the Lesson for the most part.

I really don't want to do a contractor saw, but then again I don't have any experience with the Sawstop contractor saw.  Anyone have one?  How is it?   

I have the Sawstop contractor saw with cast iron wings.  I like it a lot.  It will probably be my last saw, unless I hit the lottery or something.  I'd like better dust collection, but that may be my dust collector's fault and not the saw design.  Other people say it has excellent dust collection.  Also, I don't have the hose going to the blade guard.

The Sawstop isn't your typical contractor saw.  It's built to withstand thousands of "brake events", so the machined parts are heavier and the fit is more like a high end table saw.

You can read a longer review

• Like 1

I have the Sawstop contractor saw with cast iron wings. I like it a lot. It will probably be my last saw, unless I hit the lottery or something. I'd like better dust collection, but that may be my dust collector's fault and not the saw design. Other people say it has excellent dust collection. Also, I don't have the hose going to the blade guard.

The Sawstop isn't your typical contractor saw. It's built to withstand thousands of "brake events", so the machined parts are heavier and the fit is more like a high end table saw.

You can read a longer review

I have the same saw as beechwood and I share the same view. I suggested this setup a few posts back because I've been so pleased with mine. I'm from the camp that the safety feature alone is worth the money.

Actually, he was a very jovial fat bastard, so his condescending tone was not as offensive as it would have been without the Santa Claus profile and demeanor.  As soon as I mentioned I recognized him from the article, his disposition totally changed, and he was very grateful - and clearly stunned - that I brought it up.  Apparently he didn't achieve the celebrity and attention he'd hoped for.  It was, after all, Woodworker's Journal. :D

• Like 1

I'm with you Mel.....ERIC!!!  Did you go Forest Gump on him? "I am not a smart man.....but I am smart smart e-nuff to keep my digits out of a blaaaaade Mr. Stop Saw man".  Hey I'm probably like the next guy, make the Saw Stop more affordable and we'll ALL buy it.  It's like anything new though...give it a few years and the price comes down.

Josh, I will say one thing, DC on my 1023 leaves a lot to be desired but heck, I'm not anal about it.  Just every so often, remove the throat plate, turn the DC on, and give it a good spraying with the air hose from up top to get the corners clean.  Probably a good thing to keep everything sprayed off.

If you get the 1023, buy a good mobile base because it's a beast.  I have metal working stuff so for about $20, I built mine out of 1/4" materials and used 4" castors to roll easier and not get stuck on giblets in the shop.  Overkill on the 1/4" but I can move it around easily if I have something larger to cut.

post-2896-0-95556700-1391951859_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I would not give the 5 hp versions the reviews that they are getting in this thread. They need to reevaluate the HP they really cut more comparably to a 3hp jet but definitely not 5hp. I can't comment on the tables or fence since we did not install them in favor of the powerfeeder. We ran ours through the paces for a week and took a loss selling it on Craig's list but knew up front this may happen before purchasing a second one. I don't know what they will be replaced with more likely Oliver or PM. I've owned their shapers without power issues but that was years ago, times change I guess.

PB, what was your deciding factors to let it go?

The 5hp stalls at the same feed rate as the old 3hp saw runs all day. Really could have slowed the feed rate but that really defeats the purpose of going 5hp vs using the little jet that works better. My pm never stalls at high feed rates so it's either gunna be PM or Oliver whichever I can work the best deal on. Personally I'd question wether or not the 3hp version would even cut as a 3hp should.

Interesting. I have a pdf saved on my computer about a table saw test that included the pm2000, the new unisaw, the grizzly extreme series g0651 and the g0690, the sawstop and a few others. During the power feed test the grizzly extreme was the only saw that did not stall out at the highest test for feed rate.

Interesting. I have a pdf saved on my computer about a table saw test that included the pm2000, the new unisaw, the grizzly extreme series g0651 and the g0690, the sawstop and a few others. During the power feed test the grizzly extreme was the only saw that did not stall out at the highest test for feed rate.

I can only tell you real life experience with real saws in the flesh being used in a real shop.

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread since I am getting ready to make this purchase.  Finally, life stinks without a table saw!

I have done my research but still can't decide.  

Grizzly 1023RLW - 3HP  - $1360

• Like the router table despite not being very versatile
  • Not sure about the fence, heard it doesn't have horizontal adjustment?  

Grizzly 1023RLWX - 5HP - $1395 

• I get 5 HP for the same basically the same money.

Grizzly G0690 - 3HP - $1375

• Fence seems to be a little better
  • No router table

Any final things I should be considering?  Help me choose.  

I am no expert in table saws but I would go with G0690. It has a Lesson motor, which from my understanding is a better motor than what the other saws have on them. I think it may even be made in the USA or at least was at one point. I have seen all three of the saws in person and the G0690 also has the nicer fence of the three saws, which in my opinion would seal the deal for me. I think 3 HP vs 5 HP on these saws is negligible, at least for my use. 

I am no expert in table saws but I would go with G0690. It has a Lesson motor, which from my understanding is a better motor than what the other saws have on them. I think it may even be made in the USA or at least was at one point. I have seen all three of the saws in person and the G0690 also has the nicer fence of the three saws, which in my opinion would seal the deal for me. I think 3 HP vs 5 HP on these saws is negligible, at least for my use. 

AFAIK, Leeson is a US company that does make some motors here, but it's my understanding that the motor on the G0690 is from China.  I haven't read of any complaints of either motor.  

Josh - Have you watched the videos that Grizzly provides for each saw on their website?  You can also give Grizzly's tech center a call and ask their opinions about the saws.  From what I've read, the techs seem to favor the new G1023R series for the threaded vertical elevation screw with dovetails ways, and the serpentine drive belt.  AFAIK, the G1023R series is a Grizzly design.  The G0690 is the same saw as several other brands...Laguna, Baleigh, Craftex, Harvey, Oliver, and likely others. 

The G0690 came out while Grizzly was redesigning the 1023. It became so popular that after the 1023 was re-released, the g0690 remained in the lineup. I own the G0690, and the only major complaints were the fence and the table top scratching so easily. I replaced the fence, and gave in to the scratches. I did get this saw on sale for $1250, so who the heck am I to complain. Dust collection could always be better, I am looking into options for an overarm dust collection guard, since that is where all the dust is kicked up into the air, right at the blade. Overall, I am very happy with the results I have gotten off the saw, my work has not suffered one bit. One pita thing is the machining on my left miter slot, it gets more snug towards the rear of the slot, so when you push a sled or gauge through, it gets very stiff towards the end of the cut. Can't do anything about it at this point .