Soot Damage, need advice!

Sammalammadingdong

First off, sorry for the double post! I think I posted in the wrong spot before.  :blink:

Straight and to the point, house fire, threw these pieces in storage, sat for 2 years.

Soot damage  :(

http://i.imgur.com/Mu7IcX7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/EEtKjTj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/8dLdBYo.jpg

I'm scared I'm going to ruin the furniture trying to fix it but figured its already ruined so why not give it a go.

Going to start with just wiping it down and maybe re-post the results. Guess the question is...is it OK to use just water?

I also have no idea what type of wood this is. Both tables have a little metal stamp that say "The Bonny Shire Collection", but I still can't find any info on what type of wood it is.

So I guess my question is, where do I start?

Thanks  :D

If this was my furniture, I would chemical strip and start over. The issue is smoke odor in the wood. After the strip, and ready to refinish. You need to pay attention to the unfinished protions of the furniture. That is where the smoke is in the wood. Clean the undersides really good and apply some shellac to seal in any smoke odors. Then stain, topcoat your exterior surfaces.

-Ace-

Smoke odor on solids is relatively easy to deal with when you do it all the time. We ozone tented affected products including paper with good success. Try contacting a restoration company to see if they will tent your furniture for a small fee. If you follow Ace's recommendation you have to use an alcohol primer that will seal objects that cannot be tented. Why did you happen to wait two years? Did you deal with your fire yourself to avoid an insurance claim? How well did the rest of your restoration go?

Ace you had a great point though, even if you thought it unclear. If the soot smell cannot be alleviated, you cannot leave those spots unfinished. It is common to seal even those surfaces with an alcohol based primer.

Thanks. Could you give some examples of "alcohol based primers" for our poster? This should help in the decision making.

-Ace-

Basically everything was lost. House was completely rebuilt. The insurance company would rather reimburse for items like this instead of restoring them. They sat for 2 years in a storage because I forgot about them.

I haven't noticed an odor, honestly. Though it could be my crappy sense of smell lol.

I'm going to try water and vinegar to start off. I will keep updating my post with pictures.

Thanks for the advice!