Arts and Crafts Coffee Table

chrisphr

• 1 month later...

Good: Got to do a little woodworking today after finding myself with no time the last month and a half.

Bad: I milled the boards for the shelf and top a month and a half ago an they ain't straight no more.

I was well oversized for the top boards, but the shelf is going to be about 3/8 less than the width in the plans after the additional milling. I think 3/8 shorter is a good design change.

post-14334-0-87448100-1400355793_thumb.j

post-14334-0-20287600-1400355822_thumb.j

Crosscut the shelf to size, routed out the through tennons and chamfered the ends with a block plane and a file.

The table saw left a burn on the ends of the tennons, I was going to use a sanding block, but now I am considering using a card scraper. Can you get good results scraping end grain?post-14334-0-30393400-1400457159_thumb.j

post-14334-0-83942000-1400457190_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Got to work on the top this weekend. Edge glued all the boards, scraped the joints clean, cut it to size at the table saw and hit it with some mineral spirits to see how it is looking. I think this was the first time wife said that some project I was working on looked great, and she wasn't just humoring me (granted, the last project was garage cabinets).

Got a few natural holes both on the top and the shelf. Some are the work of worms, but decided to leave it in the project for some character. Should I fill these in with epoxy or just not worry about it? I pasted a picture of an example.post-14334-0-42494500-1402252841_thumb.jpost-14334-0-43922200-1402253109_thumb.j

It's hard to tell from the pic if that's a crack coming out of the knot hole?  If it is, I would epoxy it so it doesn't become an issue later.

I didn't do that on my wife's quilting desk and ended up with it back on my bench about a year later.

Thanks for the reply. It looks like a little open area in the worm hole. These worm holes, unlike the one I attempted to patch earlier, are naturally filled with some hard substance. The opening is in this hard stuff, whatever it is. Probably good policy to epoxy it.

• 2 weeks later...

Your HCM mortices look wonderful compared to what I've done. We have(had; it's dead bow) a pretty cheap benchtop delta, and were mass producing 50 chairs with 22 M&T's each, with less than fully trained laborers. They came out okay (well, some were horrendous).

I agree with the hand-cut mortice comment. Probably not as smooth as a nice router bit, but obviously they work. Although, I have to say that Roy Underhill can handcut those things in about the same amount of time as the HCM took.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update to the slowest build in the world. Spent some quality time with my random orbital sander this weekend and sanded one side of the table, routed chamfered edges, and glued it up. I didn't have enough time to sand the rest of the project, so at least I have that to look forward to

post-14334-0-08679800-1404675769_thumb.j

Woohoo, the big glue up for the base! Side issue: With all this humid weather the top appears to now have a little bit of a bow in it. It is cupping up so I think it will straighten out when I attach it to the base and crank it down. I haven't made or attached the breadboard ends yet, is the bow going to cause me some serious issues?post-14334-0-12062900-1405302544_thumb.j

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I think the best way to straighten it would be try to keep it cupped. I mean, we try so hard to keep it straight and it cups, why not pull some reverse psychology on that table tops ass!! :)

Since the stern scoldings and abusive cursing haven't worked, I'll give reverse psychology a try!

• Like 1

Getting into the home stretch on this project.

Hit the base with some Watco Danish Oil as an undercoat and found a source for spray lacquer that I will have by next week (stuff was hard to find).

post-14334-0-52427300-1405887439_thumb.j

Finished milling, and routed out the mortise for the bread board ends and made the tenon on the top (also found a couple biscuits!).

post-14334-0-84646600-1405887724_thumb.j

Drilled some square holes and made the stock for the ebony pegs.

post-14334-0-79563200-1405887836_thumb.j

I'm loving it man - been following along, and it seems like you're picking up some serious skills along the way. 

Here's the trick for the 'home stretch'.

1. Pay a web designer $50 to create a fake URL page from a 'high-quality' furniture shop, using a pic of your table (or the one from the plan). 

2. Attach a $3000 price tag to it.

3. Show you wife how all these tools 'practically paid for themselves'.

4. Revel in glory.

• Like 2

I'm loving it man - been following along, and it seems like you're picking up some serious skills along the way. 

Here's the trick for the 'home stretch'.

1. Pay a web designer $50 to create a fake URL page from a 'high-quality' furniture shop, using a pic of your table (or the one from the plan). 

2. Attach a $3000 price tag to it.

3. Show you wife how all these tools 'practically paid for themselves'.

4. Revel in glory.

Not that difficult if you use the same number/size of photos. Send me the url of a page along with links to images of one of your projects and I'll see what I can do.