Member Map seems to be broken

Beechwood Chip

• 2 months later...

Something changed with the Map a while ago --- for some reason, it now takes quite a while to build. The page sometimes takes longer to build than the time-out threshold set in the browser. If you bump your setting to infinite timeout you will eventually get the map (most of the time).

The original creator of the plugin reports that the member map broke due to a change in Google's API. This new version is in beta and uses Bing for the map. Unfortunately, it also adds the profile map feature and doesn't have a setting that allows me to turn that feature off. 

Sadly, that puts us in a position to either have the map ON or OFF depending on our priorities. I tend to be on the side of respecting personal privacy so I'm leaning toward removing it all together, or at least until I see an option for turning of the profile maps.

Much better! Although, on the member map where I previously had given my location as my zip code, my dot is located on the men's room of the building where I work. That's the only place where I would have hit WTO using my iPhone.

Technology is scary.

Don't worry. The NSA is protecting your privacy.