Stepback Cupboard

theodorescott

I made a stepback cupboard out of pine. Barn red milk paint on the outside, mustard on the inside. 

I used Glenn Huey's plans for the Diminutive Dish Cupboard in "Building 18th-Century American Furniture" to guide the project, but I made a lot of changes. 

This was my first time making mouldings by hand. It was also my first time making frame and panel doors. First time making a tongue and groove back as well. So, it was a good skill-building project.

By the way, I emailed Glenn Huey a few times with questions, and he was very helpful.

post-14451-0-14659600-1391974571_thumb.j

post-14451-0-40122000-1391974573_thumb.j

Edited by Theodore Scott
  • Like 2

I've seen that hardware. I even ordered some once when I needed an offset H-hinge, didn't have time to get someone to make them, and Lee Valley was the only place I could find it.  We beat it up, rusted it, cleaned it, straightened it back out, and oiled it, and all the gray haired ladies from the National Registry thought it was "grand:"   It still didn't look as good as the real hand forged stuff to me, but we made a good show.

Look at the hand forged stuff.  It'll raise the value and appeal of your piece way more than the hardware costs.  I'm not trying to be critical for the sake of being critical,  That piece deserves it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...