Pancakes or Waffles?

ChetlovesMer

Yeah Mel you almost had me agreeing with you about no fruit on breakfast until you ruined yourself with the beer comment.  A lime in a Corona, a lemon in a Boulevard or an orange in a Blue Moon MAKES those beers.  I wouldn't have much interest in them without the fruit.  I'll take my IPA straight up though, thank you. :)

• Like 2

I was at a restaurant not long ago, last summer I think, I ordered a spotted cow (local beer only in Wisconsin). It came with an orange in it! I demanded a new one sans lime.

The same is true with Scotch. If you put fruit in Scotch, you either shouldn't be drinking it, or you are drinking crappy Scotch and shouldn't be drinking it!

• Like 1

You're a craft beer snob but you can't appreciate the undertones that a piece of fruit can bring out in certain beers?

P.S...correction:  Only REDNECKS from St. Louis drink Busch. :D  That includes my father in law so I can say it.  It's god-awful beer...if you call it beer.

It's off-topic so it's fair game as long as it's not politics or religion or it turns mean-spirited.  I doubt we're headed there.  Besides, beer talk is important and relevant to woodworking...it's the final stage of a project.  I always kick back with a cold one and admire all my mistakes when I finish a piece.  It numbs the pain.

Maybe Marc needs one of these for convenience...

big-red-button.jpg

Eric, do you put fruit in Scotch too?

I mean, I can understand (although do not wholeheartedly agree) with putting an orange in a Blue Moon. But, the line has to be drawn somewhere! Right?

Mel, you are dangerously close to acceptance of Eric's deviant lifestyle. Blue Moon is better with a slice of orange, but I am pretty sure you die a little with every sip. Scotch on the rocks is wussy. Fruit in scotch is beyond comprehension...

• Like 1

I don't drink scotch.  It's nasty.  I'm a vodka tonic guy if I'm not drinking some kind of ale.  And yes I'll have a lime in that please. :D

Well, atleast that's more for me! :) I sure do love my Scotch! It's one of those things that you either like or not. I didn't like it until I got some good stuff. 

As for the Blue Moon, I've had it with fruit once. I was told that is the way it's done... And it may be "the way it's done", but I don't drink the stuff. In Wisconsin, we have awesome beer that does not need fruit. And by awesome, I am not talking about that crap that comes in a can. :)

Here is something we probably both agree with... Life is too short for bad alcohol!

As far as a beer that you can get that doesn't need fruit, try Fat Tire. That is some good stuff!

I've been thinking about this more and more, and I'll say this... I do love Sidecars. And those do get lemons. But, it's mixed in the drink. It's not floating on the top like a flamingo flapping his wings around for attention. :)

I'll admit I haven't had that many sips of high quality whiskey.  I had an "experience" with Jack Daniels in high school that left...let's call it a bad taste in my mouth lo these many years...and I've never recovered from it.  Funny enough, I discovered much later when I first worked with white oak, that it's actually the oak that puts me off.  I can't stand the smell of it...that sickening sweet indescribable smell that flavors the liquor.  Not that I'm comparing Jack Daniels to "real" whiskey, and I realize that JD isn't even scotch technically, and I know many types of whiskey aren't even aged in the oak barrels...but still, I hate it.

Living in St. Louis, we have a TON of micro-breweries, many of which are fantastic.  The two things we're good at are beer and baseball.  Oddly enough, our iconic Anheuser-Busch is the least respected of all the breweries, especially since they sold out a few years back.  It's like what Chris Rock said about something else once...AB is like that uncle who put you through college...but molested you. :lol:   I wonder if you Wisconsinians feel the same about Miller, Mel?  Ironically I like Miller High Life the most of all the urine-flavored beers. :D

Fat Tire is decent stuff, but even they are inferior to what some local boutique micro-breweries are doing now.  You can find some really amazing beers that are made in small batches that will blow your mind.  We have a place called Urban Chestnut that you have to visit if you're ever down this way.  The best of the best in St.Louis, IMO.  I find myself drinking Schlafly most often because it's widely available around here and they make pretty good stuff.  I'll only stoop so low to drink AB products if I'm pulling a night-long bender with the boys and the intention is full-blown mental incapacitation...when you wake up in the morning and see a countertop full of empty Bud Select cans, you know you're in for a bad day. :blink:   But you can drink that stuff all night long because it's 99% water.

Blue moon is an abomination. Drink a real Belgian white, Hoegarden is barely more expensive. Alagash makes an excellent Belgian white if you'd prefer something American.

I have strange drinking habits...

Scotch it if have something to do the next day, Bourbon if I don't.

Irish whiskey for shots or coffee.

Rye for a change of pace or a hot toddy.

Beer mainly in the summer, wine in the winter.

Cocktails poolside, or when I am at least wishing it were summer.

• Like 2

It's funny...drink talk is a lot like woodworking talk...everyone thinks their way is the right way and anyone who doesn't agree has manure for their brains.  When the truth is, if it tastes good to you and it makes you drunk and happy, it's the right way. :)  That said, all forms of whiskey are disgusting and anyone who drinks that crap is disgusting, too.

• Like 1

So, to catch everyone up. We went from Pancakes vs waffles. To french toast. To only women eat french toast. Then we went to how I put fruit in my coronas, and how its that time of the month for me. Then went to craft beer before going back to waffles. Somewhere in between someone started talking about nasty scotch as well.

I just got home from getting my ass kicked at the gym. I think I can go for a corona and lime :)

• Like 1