My wife and I are sponsering a woodworking contest to help sick children!

ChetlovesMer

I’m a sucker for Blank Children’s hospital here in Des Moines as I know they do not turn away children who cannot pay. I also know they run at a loss and rely on charitable donations to make up the difference. Little kids always get to me… and sick little kids break my heart.

Every year Des Moines hosts a charity event called the Festival of Trees and Lights. The basic concept is to have people (or companies) decorate Christmas trees, donate them, and then the Christmas trees and the decorations including lights and ordainments are auctioned off. All of the money from the auction goes to Blank Children’s hospital programs.

Everyone starts off with the same tree. You purchase the tree from organization that runs the event that way all the trees themselves are basically the same. Here’s a link to the event site: http://www.blankchildrens.org/about-festival-of-trees.aspx

Here’s a link to the hospital’s web-page:

https://www.unitypoint.org/blankchildrens/Default.aspx

For several years my wife and I have wanted to decorate and donate a tree. So we plan to buy a tree, decorate it, and donate it next year. Our thought is to decorate it with all handmade woodworking ornaments.  The trouble is I don’t think there is any way I could make enough ornaments to decorate the entire 6 foot tree myself.

So here’s the contest my wife and I are sponsoring

To enter you have to make an ornament (or anything else i.e. garland?) that can be hung on the tree. And send it to us to put on the tree. You will NOT get it back as it will be donated to be auctioned off with the tree.

Everyone will have more than a half a year to get their ornament made and sent in. … But you don’t need to wait until the last minute. I think we’d need to get the ornaments on, or before November 1st, 2014 to have time to get it all together to put up the tree.

My wife and I are going to sponsor the tree and this contest:

• Here’s what I’d like to offer to get the contest going:

• My wife and I will pay for the tree.

• We will pay for the lights for the tree. (All trees must have lights.)

• We will gather (and photograph) all the ornaments. We can send you the photos to post. But we will also post them on the forum so that everyone can vote on them.

• We will put up and decorate the tree at the festival. (We will post pictures on the forum of the tree at the festival)

• We will report back how much money our tree raises via auction.

• If we get 25 ornaments or more donated to our tree we will provide a $100 L-N or L-V (winner’s choice) gift card to the maker of whichever ornament gets the most votes here on the forum. By the way, I don’t care if all 25 entries come from the same woodworker.

• We will then have another prize. It will be the other $100 gift card (LV or LN, which ever was not chosen by the voted for winner) for the ornament which my wife likes the best. This $100 gift card will be called the “Chet’s wife Prize”.

So, make a Christmas ornament and send it to me. You could be the winner of a $100 tool gift card. Plus, more importantly you will be helping raise money for some sick children.

• Like 2

A couple of things I forgot to mention.
1 - not sure if I posted this in the right place. If need be the moderators can move this to a different part of the forum.

2 - James and his e-mag are going to try to be involved in the contest and more information about that will be coming as it becomes available.

3 - If you don't know what to make as an ordainment, you certainly can ask for some suggestions from me, James or the forum. Or just surprise us.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, I'm back and this contest is still on.

What I'd like is to respond if you'd like to participate. Just let me know if you are going to try to make an ornament.

I've already put in for the tree and have the gift cards for prizes. So let me know if you are interested. You can also IM with questions.

My tools are all dusty (not the wood kind) and there's no end in sight.  I can't make a commitment but I'll whip something up last minute if I can scrape together an open afternoon at some point.  I might be throwing myself off a bridge in the not-so-distant future.  It's nonstop these days.

I'm in.  Have a few ideas what I could do.  I'll spend my birthday in early Oct playing in the shop as a b-day present to myself :).  I rarely have a chance to do woodworking anymore so it will be a nice treat.. 

Edit:  This thread needs to be kept Bumped as a reminder for everyone!

• 3 weeks later...