Stackable boxes!

Llama

I picked up some maple and walnut from Kettle Moraine Hardwoods this morning. It was super busy!!

These are for a commissioned job. The project calls for ten boxes, five maple and the other walnut. They will be stackable. I haven't 100% decided how they will stack. I think I'll do something like in the attached pic. This may change as I'd like to use plywood for the bottoms.

Anyway, here is a quick shot of my haul today. I wanted to get more wood, but being so busy I decided I'll go back in a few days for the stuff I want for my stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think you can use plywood bottoms and get your stack-ability.  I can't tell from your sketch up, but cut equal rabbits on top and bottom of the box, make it about half the depth of your plywood (assuming 1/2" ply, 1/4 rabbit.)  Then you just cut the plywood to fit inside the rabbits, and theoretically, they should stack nicely.  You may need to sand the ply just a bit so the fit isn't too tight, but production should be really easy this way, just two dado cuts down each side of your side boards (before cross cutting) and you will have perfect joints, and boxes.  

Good Luck!

I got my lumber thicknessed today, well tonight. :) busy day, but managed to get something done in the shop!

I have decided (with some coaxing, thanks TIODS) to miter and spline these.

Here is a test piece I did in poplar to get over my hesitance with mitering these... I was overthinking them way too much! The Incra 1000HD is a genius!

Posted Image

Well, here's some wood...

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Like 1