Mission style Twin Bed Builds

bikefoolery

Well, this is the first big project.  Started with needing to move the first two kids into the same room, as kid number three arrives soon.  I'm working odd hours and need a room to get some sleep after she arrives. 

My wife and i looked at alot of ideas for storage beds.  Ikea wasn't for us, larger more custom peices were not in the family budget.  We came to build our own.  I'd use SketchUp, but that';s another thing to learn, and there's a time table for completion that cannot slip.  Here's the initial plan as sold to my wife.  Simple drawing:

12698024955_ea878b7b46_c.jpg

Each bed is two peices, the frame and the bed.  Frames get done first, then the storage bases, then afterwards a nightstand / book case between the beds.  Bed rails to prevent a kid falling out of bed are an option as well.  We chose poplar based on cost, and it's pretty easy for me to work with.  I don't own a planner or jointer, so I'm working with dimensioned lumber.  I don't have a table saw either, but the neighbor has one that gets used alot (bathroom vanity  business).  For a beer afterwards, I can get plywood cut down.

Design Goals:

- No/little showing jointing hardware showing. 

- Stained finish instead of painting

- Small hand/foot friendly

- Last about 10 years

- Something we'll be happy aobut everytime we see it

I felt like making the frames look really good, as that are what we'll see most as we put the kids to bed.  I know i couldn't master dovetailing in short notice.  I used the General Tool dovatail jig and got a second hand Dewalt router I felt I could be comfortable using.  The results were pretty good. 

12117769715_634e6350f7_c.jpg

Next time I'm be sure to sand the tearout preventing scribe line down/out.  This will be just one of the hundred or so things I learn is these get built. 

Back into garage...

-josh

*full disclosure* So these posts will eventually catch up to current.  The frames are complete, and storage bases are in work at the moment.  I appreciate the encouragement and comments. 

Well, the halfblind dovetails will be on the outside of the frame, so I get that reminder everytime I see them.  I'm fine with that. I'll be proud the day my daughers or son have a chat about this design details.  It will show an observant eye for detail ;)  Also, the wife has chosen bedding that drapes over it. *argh.*  Not all hope is lost, we'll see how this changes as the bases are added. 

I tried moving up to a 3/4 inch dovetail bit for a thru dovetail, but mis-configured the router depth.  A few sparks flew off the jig, I stopped before there was an accident.  I retreated to using a 1/2 inch dovetail bit, and something I felt safe using.  This meant the joint would be half blind.  My mistake was in the router setup.  I'm new to routers, and very happy that the dewalt 621 I have shuts off as soon as i lift my fingers off the trigger on the handle.  Yet, lesson number two in this build:  Tripple check and double think router depth/use setup prior to turning on the router. 

More of the bed frame assembly pictures. 

Initial glue setup.  I don't own long 75" or 40" clamps... yet.  So band lamps and measuring that it's square across the opposing corners gets to be close enough.  Slats inside the frames insure the frames don't collapse inward.

12118434226_fd1d8e631a_c.jpg

Slats installed within the bed frame. 

12118425096_d1343a0806_c.jpg

The underside of the bed, pocket hole screws attach the middle support.  Bed frame sides are 1x6, cleat that slats sit on is 1x2 attached with screws.  Slats are 1x4.

12118170914_6dec09629c_c.jpg

Then all work halts for an artist colony that demands use of the folding table used as the assembly table. Both frames are in the backgound, long with the rest of the garage.  I envy those with dedicated space.  Mine shares cars, bikes, home brewery, and woodshop.

12078646926_081687ec32_c.jpg

I tried to negociate, but these are tough customers.   When it's unseasonalbly hot and time to paint, it's unseasonalbly hot and time to create.   :)

Cheers,

-josh

Fun part about puting the frames together was malleting (?hammering?) the frame joints togther while standing on a ladder due to the height.  Kinda hard to take a selfie when you are worried about the wind knocking over the assembled piece, or falling off.

The next step: staining and protecting both bed frames.  After reading about poplar blotching, and staining a few scraps, I chose to use Minwax Pre-Stain conditioner. I was able to reused leftover stain and urethane from a previous project where I overbought.  After reading more I realized I could mix and make my own pre-stain conditioner.  In this case a commercial product would be much more consistent across the two frames. One frame was a bit ahead of the other, I'd probally get distracted and mix incorrectly.  I rubbed on two coats of stain and let it dry a couple days and sanded between each coat. 

12118421906_9ff031f638_c.jpg

I then thinned down some helmsman spar urethane with oderless mineral spirits and rubbed it on three coats, a light hand sanding inbetween.  Thanks for the tip on thinning urethane Mr. Whisperer. 

12184114444_f519bfb797_c.jpg

Here the scrib line shows, but I'll get used to seeing it.  :)

12118049963_79df1260ae_c.jpg[

With the bed ontop; mattress fits nicely.  We chose a memory foam mattress.  There is no inner spring to reward little legs jumping on the bed :) 

12199576624_a27b89dfa0_c.jpg

Next, storage base assembly... (almost up-to-date,  this project started end of December)

-josh

Very nice looking project so far!

I have 4 mahogany rice carved bed posts I bought to build a king sized bed for myself over 15 years ago. I even squirreled away a 22" wide by 9ft long 5/4 plank of mahogany for the headboard. But cobblers kids need shoes and I have yet to have the time to tackle the build. If I have a big gap in my shop schedule I never have the $$ to spend the time on a personal project. One of the drawbacks to doing woodwork for a living.

I'm kinda glad this is a hobby and not a job.  It allows for beauty even though there are imperfections.  At my job its all perfect or it's failure.  When the power goes out; my work never existed.  This build is a real and tangible product.  It's therapy.

On to the storage base...  Death by doweling. :)

I wanted to use thinner stock for the base so I could still lift it when the base was done.  I chose to re-enforce the sides with dowels.  I imagine my kids will step on the, and 1x2 poplar is pretty flimsy in a 73 inch span.  There's a cleat on the inside of the bottom rail to hold the storage base shelf.  I picked 1/4 plywood for the shelf, and plan on skeleton underneath to support it. 

I picked up a Harbor Frieght self centering doweling jig, and made 'special modifications' to make it sit straight with a couple shims and removing one side.  Looking back, I should have picked up the Rockler two hole 3/8 simple doweling jig,  I think it would have been easier.  Part of the fun is figuring out how to make the tools perform.  Yes, it's simply clamped to a small scrap piece of plywood screwed down to an uneven rough bench in the garage.  It's flat...enough.

12635850104_dc2eda9a1c_c.jpg

Then dry fitting the each part of the top rail, support sides, and bottom rail.  Making four of these is almost like production work.

12845678324_2b02d8d516_c.jpg

Then some glueing.  I really like that Jet clamp.  Wow is it nice.  heavy enough to hold a peice upright before final clamping.

12635846614_b32c0bddfc_c.jpg

Then some clamping after assembly for the glue to cure.  I wish I had more large clamps.  Maybe with a few more projects. :)

12845242275_f258dd1fe3_c.jpg

Oi, that was alot of dowels.  I'd like to go the mortis and tenon route, but alas, time to learn another skill is not in the schedule.

Cheers,

-josh

Attaching the base for the storage space.  Hard to explain now, but will make more sense as the project matures.

Gluing 1/4 inch ply to the cleats along the bottom of storage base.

12941857384_25259d89f0_c.jpg

The poplar I'm using isn't the straightest stuff, so a few screws in hidden spots on the project will suck the sides into square. Big thanks to Neighbor Nick, Master of the table saw for getting the ply down to size.  I used an uber cheap hand saw with thumb guide cut out the corners to fit the base skeleton.  Most difficult part was clamping surfaces alont the cleat.  Used band clamps to suck-in the sides and length, and simple spring clams to keep the sides in place.  In spots wood screws hold the base skeleton to the plywood, but they will only be visible to the person looking at the items under the bed in the hidden storage space.  Sometimes I wish I took more photos during assembly. 

12941826094_b27eb2763d_c.jpg

Thanks to Matt's Basement Workshop for the video where I saw the blue tape over the mallet head.  Much easier than grabbing a piece of scrap to protect the project wood grain when 'agressively adjusting' the project. ;)

-josh

Looking good. I like the way you've documented the project so far, and like you, I wish I took more photo's while I'm building projects. I reckon that it's one of the downsides of doing something you enjoy - you're too busy enjoying yourself to take photo's. Keep up the good work

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit more progress is made. 

Pre-stain contitioner is on the first storage base, and the second storage frame is gluing up.

12941382505_0f5a003846_c.jpg

For the second storage base I decided to do a bit more pre-finishing prior to attaching the lower shelf. Both are at a two coats of stain, and two coats of finishing poly.  Much easier to hand rub stain disassembled.  I tried using a brush for some of the unseen underside parts, but my technique is terrible, very uneven.  So it worth the extra time to hand rub the stain for me

13209410765_0086dff140_c.jpg

Two storage bases that kind of look like they can hold the previously built bed frames.  I forgot to take a photo that showed a dry-fitting of the bed frames and storage bases.

13255568855_3f33499a10_c.jpg

Both are now at a pause point as I figure out how to build simple panels and panel doors.  There is a panel at the head of the storage base, and between the open "toe" storage area where there will be cloth boxes for the kids to store stuff.  This  separates the hidden away under bed storage area.  Hoping the panel also adds some rigid lateral support.  There are also doors providing access to the larger storage area underneath.  I'm planning to put 1/4" plywood panel in a simple poplar frame.  Thinking of clamping the frame part to a surface and using a plunge router with guide attached to cut the grove.  Then cutting/trimming the panel to fit.  Im sure this will be an adventure.  Going to think more about it, and need to build a jig to hold the frame pieces safely. 

-josh

PS, this project needs to get finished, it's bumping into my spare wheel storage. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

More progress, the simple panels to separate the toe storage area and the under bed storage are built, and I received an engineering change order.

Simple panel dry fit. Cost me another beer to reward the neighbor for a few more table saw cuts.

13276770033_2cb6b84c39.jpg

Panels stained ready to be installed.

13550196364_abc6bdaa27.jpg

Next step was supposed to be the doors that hide away the under bed storage, but...  Both kids found a way to fall out of bed.  The bed frames are on the floor.  Obviously it scared them more than hurt, but two sleep interrupted nights was enough. 

13527416013_27aa3db016.jpg

Engineering Change order: we are adding bed rails prior to the storage bases being installed. Most examples are just two supports and two long bords, but I think that style would just look funny.  I'd prefer they match the other vertical lines on the base. 

Sanding off the marking for setting the dowel jig.

13498759055_8072845f09.jpg

Drilling more dowels, but I like how the joinery is hidden. I upgraded to the bench dog 3/8 dowel jig, but the guide is so smooth I have to clamp the crap out of it to stay in place.  I will say it's super easy to line up though.

13498774265_1b71633fa7.jpg

This project will finish, eventually.

-josh

The beds started 'operational testing' this weekend. 

Bed frame on storage base with bed rail and mattress.

13633373675_22499ac7cf.jpg

With bedding and happy client.

13634460543_0f42a60878.jpg

Finished... His.

13683713974_d4d36a0cf0.jpg

Finished... Hers.

13683331265_1f20bb1e14.jpg

Still have to build a few doors and proper head boards, but that can wait while other projects take priority.  Expect this thread to get revived in a few years when I get to that... :)

Thanks for the encouragement.

-josh