Mahogany Library Rolling Staircase

wdwerker

Many thanks! I am watching your bedside tables progress eagerly . They look beautiful .

I am not looking forward to Monday, sanding this huge complex shape is not going to be fun at all !

Thanks Steve!  I'm hoping to do some spraying tomorrow myself..

• Like 1

What this needs to go with it is one of those bookshelf doors that opens onto a secret room. You're just the man that can do it!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been eagerly awaiting the day a client with deep pockets makes this request ! I have done secret compartments and all kinds of special door hardware . I know I can pull it off but it's not gonna be cheap or fast !

The curves make such a huge difference between the largely utilitarian pieces I have made and the fine work you are doing. This has been a valuable lesson for me.

It is not that hard to do but it does eat up a fair amount of time. I cut a template and sanded it, marked all the curves on both sides then cut on the bandsaw, and sanded to the lines on my osselating belt sander. I have the big Jet one now but my old Ridgid would do the job. Then after every thing was glued up a rounded all the edges over which is where it starts getting the attractive appearance.

After that it is just a lot of time sanding and sanding...........

I did not notice the platform under the stairs before.  its a nice touch, the alternating width planks give it an interesting detail and it is a cool place to set down a stack of books or a drink or for a pet/child to hide!