First Guild Build - new member

wouldwurker

Hello all. I realize I'm Johnny-come-lately on this build, but am a new guild member, and man am I excited.

I was watching the videos last night, and cannot believe how comprehensive they are. As a beginner woodworker (cut my teeth with a workbench, doweled sitting bench for my son, and some mitre key'ed boxes and pencil holders) this project really appears to have the challenge to develop my skills, but also appears very "do-able" due to the detail in the vids.

In addition I love the idea of a forum with other users who built/are building the same project.

My dad, who is now retired, is flying into town tonight, and I'm surprising him with the plan to each make a chair together.

Looking forward to the journey, as well as sitting down side by side with cold beer(s) at the end of our project.

Quick question, I've been accumulating some 8/4 and 4/4 S3S Spanish cedar, for what I knew would an eventual outdoor project. Has anyone built this or similar chairs with Spanish Cedar? I'm wondering if I should use it, or just buy 2 kits.

Thanks all. VJ

Spanish cedar is a rot-resistant wood suitable for outdoor furniture.  I personally prefer the color and richness of mahogany over SC, and at my local yard SC is almost 50% more expensive than mahogany for some reason or another...but if you have a bunch laying around, you may as well use it. :)

I haven't done the Adirondack chair (yet) but I've done a number of other Guild builds and they're always a good time.  Marc leaves no questions unanswered which makes for easy and stress-free builds.

Welcome to the forum, Vinny.  There's a wealth of knowledge in this place...feel free to ask questions if you encounter any issues during your journey.  It's cool you're going to build with Pops.  Wish I could do that.