Cleaning and assessing a variety of our antiques

Candice

We have picked up a number of old/antique pieces through the years because we just love old wood. Many have finishes that have faded, have build-up, may be dirty, and/or suffered surface damage. In a few cases, I scratched off the old flaking finish and have left the bare wood with just BLO. I realize now that we have some treasures and I'd like to give them the treatment they deserve.

1) I'd like to do a general cleaning first so I can take a good look at what each piece needs.

Can I use something like Murphy's oil soap or lemon oil on all of them - bare wood, shellac, varnish, etc.? Should I use something else?

2) One large piece has a sun-faded side. Is there something I should put on it to nourish that wood, at least temporarily? (I know it should probably come out of the sun. It's a tiny house, so we don't have a lot of choices.)

3) How can I determine what the finish is?

(I know denatured alcohol will dissolve shellac - does that have to be industrial strength, or will the drug store variety work?)

4) Where a finish has failed and there is some exposed wood, will applying Murphy's or lemon oil cause problems (like uneven color)?

Thank you!

Huge can of worms!  Agree with the above comments!

Perhaps you could get some better help on a case by case basis if you provided pictures.  Also, include any information about the type of wood and finish that you may know.

I appreciate your caution. It shows a lot of respect. And thanks for the reference above (the 6 parts have been combined into one). I'll check that out for refinishing information.

Right now, I'm not tackling any refinishing - just a gentle surface cleaning. Are you saying that Murphy's oil soap or lemon oil isn't mild enough to even use one of those to start?

These are "working" antiques - wonderful, functional pieces for us, rather than protected show pieces. I'm thinking it might have been unreasonable to ask such a broad question about cleaning old/antique furniture in general. And maybe "cleaning" implies something more rigorous than what I had in mind.

I will take the case-by-case advice to get more specific guidance on individual pieces.

Thanks!

For general cleaning if you spray some Murphy's on a soft clean rag and wipe you should be safe. Dampened but not wet rag and don't spray cleaners directly on the wood.

Lemon oil could cause a problem on some old finishes . Do a test in an inconspicuous place and wait a day or 2 to see what happens. I mark these places with a Post-it note so I can find the exact spot again.

If they are not really valuable antiques Howard's Restore a Finish comes in many colors and it does an OK job of improving the overall appearance without completely refinishing the piece. Test in an inconspicuous place and follow the directions on the can. It might allow you to add an extra bit of color to the sun faded side. I would try it on a small beat up piece first so you can get a feel for how it works.

Clean with some mineral spirits on a rag. This will remove all the old wax dirt whatever. Make take you 2 or 3 times. Let the pieces dry a few days. Then apply General Finishes orange oil. This should fresh things up. But sounds like you may be leaning towards refinishing.

Just me...I would stay away from  Murphy's oil soap...you mix that with water. If the wood is old and dried out from the sun, introducing water to the surface is not a good thing since the wood will swell taking on the water. Not so much with the mineral spirits it evaporates quicker.

You have any pictures, we can take a look?

-Ace- 

People that I know, who do clean valuable antiques, start with diluted white vinegar.

Yes dont use mineral spirits or anything that could soften the finish until you figure out what it is. Things like cigarette smoke will burn in pemanantly if you use to harsh of a solvent before removing. 

Wdwerker - Thanks for the tips (love the post-it)

Ace - I am definitely not leaning toward refinishing right now. My main project is the fir subfloor in my old kitchen. I have new eyes on all the "old" wood in the house and would like to clean it and take a small step toward protecting it from neglect. Then, I'll figure out the next steps.

I will soon learn the pros and cons of those three products: Murphy's, lemon oil, and mineral spirits. Being confused about these is part of what has led to neglect. Not knowing what to do resulted in doing nothing. But, I've already learned a ton here and I know to ask the questions.

Now, dilute vinegar. Maybe that's something everyone agrees on.

I won't touch anything yet.

I will post some pictures later today. I'll start a new thread with a link posted here.

Thanks.