Norton Sanding Sponge - 3x vs 5x ?

Mad Hungarian

• 3 weeks later...

The 5x sponges "lasts up to 5 times longer than sandpaper" according to the Norton website. Couldn't find the 3X sponges, maybe they're an old product. But their 3X paper advertises "3X longer product life and 3X faster cut rate than conventional aluminum oxide products".

So now you know(and so do I). :)

Best,

Bill

The only thing I know about the sponges is that I don't like them.  I have trouble paying for them when I know most of the cost is in the sponge material itself and not the grit.  I'm kind of cheap so I prefer using regular sandpaper and adhering (or velcroing) it to a substrate.  You can use a substrate ad infinitum...once the grit wears down on the sponge, in the trash it goes.

If you're wanting an abrasive for sanding round parts, corners, oddball shapes, etc...I bought a couple of these sets at Rockler and I love them.  The round pad is very soft and conforms to almost anything...much like using a FT Platin pad, and the yellow thing is soft enough to conform to slightly convex and concave shapes...I like using it for corners and long, gentle curves after they've been faired.  If you want to sand a flat piece with something less rigid, try gluing a piece of cork to a block of wood...still flat but provides a nice cushion.  And it's cheap.

I will admit, though, I do use the Platin pads when finishing...there's just no substitute IMO for when you're working with finishes in the higher grits.  Up to about 320 I don't really think it matters.

26381-03-1000.jpg

• Like 1