Need a belt for my Mini Lathe

baok

I have a Grizzly G9247 mini lathe that just lost its belt.  The thing is so deteriorated and chewed up that I can barely tell it was a belt.  I certainly can't tell what size it is or the number of teeth.  The manual is of no help in that regard and Grizzly.com shows it as discontinued.

Anybody happen to know what size belt it is (or how to guess at it) and/or who sells toothed belts like that?

It's a nice little lathe for the occasional pen-turning; I hate to lose it just because of a belt.

That's a pretty promising web site C Shaffer. I'll spend some time looking. My belt is nothing but some string and dust - no chance if counting the teeth so I'm glad that guy did it. That should help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to close the loop on this thread, I heard from Grizzly. I was advised as to how to measure the size I need. I also consulted with a mechanical engineer at work who was helpful. Searching for "timing belts" on Google told me several vendors. Grizzly said to wrap a tape measure around the gears to get a length, measure the width directly, and measure the distance between teeth (the 'pitch'). Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg W.

This just happened to me today. Totally disintegrated, can't make heads or tails of what size or anything. Dimension of the belt number of teeth or the pitch?  Do you mind sharing the part number and where you purchased it.  

Hey Woodrookie, I just measured my gears.  I make it out to be a lenght of 16 3/4" (or 425mm) and the tooth pitch is 3/16" or 5mm.

I'm gonna go on a google search for a replacement. 

Well, I ordered the aforementioned belt and it came Friday. I went out to install it and it was very tight but I forced it on.

Probably not the best approach but it seemed to work. I turned on the lathe at a low speed and slowly ramped up the speed. The belt got pretty hot and started to smell like burning rubber just a little.

I slowed down the speed and all that went away although the belt stayed pretty warm. I put on a piece of wood and turned it for awhile just to make some shavings and see how it worked under a load.

After awhile, it stopped smelling and seemed to work OK. I still think it may be a bit tight and I think the tooth shape on the belt doesn’t exactly match the tooth shape of the pulleys but it seems that it doesn’t take long to wear them in.

This was not all seat-of-the-pants work; my nephew is a machinist and he was the one suggesting that it would probably work. I’ll turn some more and see what happens. Worst case, I have to buy another belt rather than a whole new lathe.

So I guess that's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part 1:

I took your dimensions from above and went out to a belt and pulley shop and bought one.  They only had a 425-5m-15 size timing belt.  They offered to trim down the width but I wanted to see if it fit first.  I too struggled to get it on but then noticed the motor mounts allen screws and that allowed me to get in on easier. I will take it back and have them trim it to a 10-12mm.

The belt cost me approxiamately $14.23.  

Part 2:

When I went to turn it on......nothing.  Took it apart and found that the fuse holder assembly was broken.  Checked with Grizzly and the part is no longer available.  

Found some markings on the old one (HJMF527, 10a,250v).  Researched that information today and it's available from China (April 22 delivery date) too long for me to wait.

Found some fuse holders at the local Radio Shack and Altex Electronic store here in San Antonio. Will make it fit. Will buy tomorrow. 

Again, thanks for help.  

Woodrookie