First Maple Burl Bowl

wooddok

I got a nice piece of maple burl last wee and decided to make a shallow bowl with it. So I used my carbide cutting tools TG!  And finally got it turned down to a decent shape. The finished it off with my new crown carbide set-up. Put on a coat of shellac to seal  it and two coats of Gloss poly. That's what Suzie wanted on it. I think it turned out Ok for a first piece of burl.

post-14949-0-23844900-1393725867_thumb.j

post-14949-0-41283900-1393725906_thumb.j

• Like 1

Nice !

I would have sculpted the exterior to reflect the interior, but down that road lies the risk of getting too thin and having the whole thing fly apart. If you study the really appealing lathe work it is thin, light and sculptural. I am guessing you have already discovered the challenge of turning highly figured wood, getting a smooth flawless finish isn't easy is it ?

I wish I had more time to turn. It really does take a lot of practice to get proficient .

So like I started with , nice !

Keep turning and push your skills to the limit, that's where you learn some of the best lessons. Blowing up an expensive blank can teach a level of caution that dozens of conservatively turned free pieces will not .

Nice !

I would have sculpted the exterior to reflect the interior, but down that road lies the risk of getting too thin and having the whole thing fly apart. If you study the really appealing lathe work it is thin, light and sculptural. I am guessing you have already discovered the challenge of turning highly figured wood, getting a smooth flawless finish isn't easy is it ?

I wish I had more time to turn. It really does take a lot of practice to get proficient .

So like I started with , nice !

Keep turning and push your skills to the limit, that's where you learn some of the best lessons. Blowing up an expensive blank can teach a level of caution that dozens of conservatively turned free pieces will not .

So Steve,

I've just been turning off and on for about a year - pens and some small bowls and I haven't turned any type of burls yet.  We've recently cut a huge silver maple tree and I have some blocks from it to turn.  The tree was old and had died and it has some punky wood in it but there are also some really good looking places.  I know sharp tools are a must but what is it about burls.  Are they prone to come apart?