Selecting lumberyard...

timfield

I have two projects ahead - planning to use birch or maple. Looking at several lumberyards within 100 miles, I find drastically different pricing for similar grade of wood. What should I look for or questions to ask regarding selecting the best value/quality mix of lumber?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

There is a difference between lumberyards that cater to the construction trades and hardwood dealers that focus onfurniture and cabinet grade hardwoods and ply, at least that is how it in my area.   If they stock mostly framing material and construction grade plywood then I would avoid those place.  They might have some common domestic hardwoods like oak, maple and cherry but the price and selection will not be that great.    In another post I think you said you are in Virginia.   Just doing a quick google search for "hardwood dealer virginia", I came across these guys.   I have no idea if it is near you at all, but this might give you an idea of the kind of place you want to find. 

http://cpjohnsonlumber.com/?page_id=5

There are many many variables that go into the final price of lumber.  The most obvious may be different distributors who supply them and different price structures.  When it comes to domestic lumber the source is much closer and therefore fewer people have taken their slice of the profit pie.  Usually this means that the pricing from one yard to another isn't as varied.  If it is then you may be looking at a different product.  Grade, dryness, width/length spec will all play into the final price.  You may also find tiered pricing depending on how much lumber you buy.  The grade issue is sticky because the current NHLA grades are pretty vague and leave a wide range that qualified for each grade.  So both yards may be selling FAS but one yard is selling 100% clear, all heart Cherry and the other is selling Cherry at the bottom of the FAS grade which may have a lot of sap and only 80% clear.  Don't let this confuse you and if you can get to the yard and look through the lumber yourself you can ignore the grades and just choose what you know you will need for the project at hand.  That being said, have a plan when you get there.  Better yet, have a plan A and a plan B.  Sure we all want wide, clear lumber but maybe that won't be possible so plan A hase your wide boards and plan B uses narrower stuff to make your parts. 

In the end, most furniture projects can do just fine with less than "top grade" lumber so I would go with the yard that is cheaper assuming that the material is dried properly.  If pristine lumber is your goal then finding the yard that prices for "above grade" lumber may be your best bet. 

The following may help you with this planning process from my site:

Planning Your Project Saw Cuts

Demystifying the Lumber Yard

First Steps of a New Project

If you're curious about lumber pricing then perhaps this may help you understand what to ask for:

How Much Will My Lumber Cost?

Lumber Grades Tell Only Half the Story

• Like 1