I need to buy a grander (HELP)

man of wood

I have been using a 6"grinder and I need to upgrade.  I want to know what size, and what company I should get it from, Do I need variable speed.  Wail we are at it you can add your input on the wheels I should use too.......  

So it is clear, this is for wood turning chisels

PS   Sorry for the spelling of the topic..... 

Thank you  Thomas

==>this is for wood turning chisels

I'm not a turner...

The turners I know prefer (and they say they benefit from) the type of shallow hollow-grind created by 10"+ diameter wheels... I know several turners who use the 10" slow-speed Baldor, but budget comes into play -- nice piece of kit and will last forever, but it's expensive.... Same for Tormek -- nice grind, but expensive and slow...

• 3 weeks later...

The preferred setup is a slow speed grinder (1725rpm) with a 8" wheel with Norton 3X 8" grinding Wheels 46 and 80 grit or just 80 grit. or CBN wheels if you have the $$$. Using the Oneway Wolverine Sharpening System, I would say over 50% of my 270+ member Turning Club has this setup. 

I have a Scheppach 8" Variable Speed Grinder (yeah I never hear of it before also) It was recommended to me and works great. http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/7/-/21/149/-/5991/Scheppach-8%22-Variable-Speed-Grinder

But friends (Club members) have Rikon, Jet, Delta slow speed grinders that work great also, all with the above setup.

• 5 weeks later...

The low speed grinder at Woodcraft is pretty good (see avatar) I have the oneway setup and it is very easy to adjust. I also have a Veratas replacement tool rest and it is great for straight edges such as chisels and plane blades as the blade clamps into the holding fixture and it rides in a slot in the rest so the blade stays aligned all the time..

A very similar system to the Oneway setup is sold by Captn Eddie (big guy productions) and it costs a whole lot less. It is not as pretty but his "

INTERNATIONAL BLACKHAWK" system should work just as well.

http://eddiecastelin.com/combos_and_other_items

He also has carbide inserts and bars at a good price. I have found them online at even better prices but it takes a lot of internet time to find them He sells for much less than in the woodworkers stores.

I am not pushing his products but I have talked to him to get some advice (he says to call him on every video so I did) he was friendly, interested in what I was doing and gave me help exactly for what I was doing. YMMV.