Using the changes in wood grain

redvette

Using sapwood in an aesthetically pleasing way can be a challenge.  I certainly wouldn't put sapwood against heartwood in a joint...that just draws attention to the glue line.  Whenever I incorporate sapwood or "defects" in my pieces, I try to do it with some symmetry...or at least with a purpose, so if someone asked me, I'd be able to respond..."I wanted to use this board for this part of the project here "because..."   Maybe the color or grain accentuates a curve, or adds depth, or gives a feeling of motion if that's the desired effect.  Maybe you're building a piece with a single drawer and you pick a board with a knot hole to use for the drawer front, and you carve out that knot hole and use if for the pull.  Those are all reasons.  If you put that knot hole on the top of the piece willy-nilly for no good reason, it just looks like a defect.  Used carefully and for a purpose, it becomes a feature and makes your piece unique.

If I were building that backgammon board, my instinct would probably be to use a bookmatched pair of panels for the top and bottom of the case, second choice being a slip-matched pair, third choice being carefully selected, similar looking parts out of preferably the same board.  I would then glue them up in such a way that the joints are as invisible to the human eye as possible.

All that said, if the "rustic" look is your thing, then don't pay attention to any of the above rambling.  I've said before that "rustic" pieces just look to me like lazy woodworking, but that's just one man's opinion.  If you like it that way, build it that way, and I will mock you behind your back. :D

Ultimately none of it matters...just do what your wife tells you to do.

• Like 1

I spend an unreasonable amount of time looking at the grain of pretty much every piece of wood I use if I'm building something nice. Flipping, turning, rotate this one, move that one, etc.   I seem to spend more time looking that building. 

If I were building the above, I'd either have the sapwood matching at the center where the panels meet, or at the outside edge away from each other.

• Like 2

My observation is that in general, non-woodworkers don't care about grain much.

While they might not intrinsically care about grain, the eye will pick up on something laid out with the grain being complimentary to the piece, or the opposite.   A person will pick up on the ascetics of the grain even if they dont know it.

• Like 2

A person will pick up on the ascetics of the grain even if they dont know it.

Quite true. My comment stems from my own frustration at how little appreciation is given to the choice and arrangement of the grain by the end users. My guess is that evenly grained mahogany was/is so popular for Federal style furniture for the same reason, at least in part.

Choosing a pleasant arrangement of some highly figured or varigated grain would have added considerable time and effort to an already complicated piece, and been completely wasted on the consumers.

I'd never look at the sapwood as a defect !!! ... It's an aspect of the wood that I can use to my advantage.

If I was making the sides of a wall hanging cabinet i would keep the lighter shades to the side against the wall giving the piece a lighter look like it's not touching the wall, or in flat door panels to give some depth.

And nothing makes a book matched piece of wood pop like contrasting colors, if you had a straight grained monotoned piece of wood and you bookmatched it when you put the pieces side by side it would look like just one wide plank but if there was a contrast in color or grain pattern then even the untrained eye would be drawn to the bookmatched or mirrored pieces.

But like Eric and mds2 said be very careful because it can highlight things you don't want to or upset the balance and flow of a piece and that's what the non woodworkers will spot straight away !!

If you can have a look at a book by James krenov called the " the fine art of cabinet making " .. Its not a how to book and it's a slow read, you might even have to read some parts over and over before you understand but it will have you looking at your wood in a totally different light .... And you'll understand why Eric speaks so passionately :D

==>"Ultimately none of it matters...just do what your wife tells you to do" best response!

I think it's safe to shorten the response a bit...

I believe the Cliff Notes version would be, "Just do what your wife tells you to do"... or simply, "She's the Boss".

Safely covers most situations...

Back to the OP -- With practice, you can blend sapwood. One of the most successful approaches is to use an airbrush to selectively dye the sap and feather it into the darker surround...

If you can have a look at a book by James krenov called the " the fine art of cabinet making " .. Its not a how to book and it's a slow read, you might even have to read some parts over and over before you understand but it will have you looking at your wood in a totally different light .... And you'll understand why Eric speaks so passionately :D

I can't second this enough. That book really inspired me (and his others). There were parts that spoke directly to my soul. I say it is a must read for any woodworker.

• Like 2