Help me figure out how many windows for new shop

estesbubba

I'm planning my new 30x40 (with 10x40 porch) shop and trying to figure out how many 4x3 windows I should put in it. My building will be very similar to this one with a door and 3 windows facing south. The east end will have the overhead door and no windows. The north side will have no windows. I'm debating on whether to put a window on the west end (end opposite overhead door). What do you think?

116302.jpg

Thx for the quick feedback. We live on a small acreage with 2.25 acres 10 miles away from the city so crime is low but nothing is ever 100% safe. The south and west sides face our house and why I'm considering those. The north end faces away plus shaded by trees like this picture shows so not doing windows there. I plan on putting shades on the windows to keep "browsers" from looking in when not in the shop. 

I would love to kick you in the nuts out of jealousy! :) I would love to have the option to choose as many windows as I please.

Remember: The more windows you put in your shop, the more likely it will be for people to see you wandering around aimlessly in the shop instead of getting those projects done.  :P

Meh, on acreage 10 miles away from the city...I'd be building my shop to suit my desires without consideration of thieves.  Put a couple cameras, real or fake, on the exterior of your shop, along with a sign that says, "Smile, you're on TV."  And I might add another sign that says something like "Enter this building without permission and you risk having your brains blown out." :)

Meh, on acreage 10 miles away from the city...I'd be building my shop to suit my desires without consideration of thieves.  Put a couple cameras, real or fake, on the exterior of your shop, along with a sign that says, "Smile, you're on TV."  And I might add another sign that says something like "Enter this building without permission and you risk having your brains blown out." :)

Out in the sticks my shop would be like for knox. They have all the time in the world to back up a Uhaul and clean you out. I live three blocks outside city limits where its safe in methville. I have cameras in my shop and on the outside of the house. Ive been ripped off twice. The first time they broke in and grabbed a laptop and an I pad. The second time they stole the cameras off my house. 

At my last house I put windows up in the gables on each end.  None other than that for security reason.  I got a good amount of light through those gable windows. 

I refuse to live my life in fear.  If someone wants to steal your stuff, they're gonna, whether you have one window or twenty windows or no windows.  I say build the shop you wanna build, take whatever precautionary measures you can take, make sure you're properly insured, and live your life.

Both of our neighbors are retired and one of them let's us know if a cat walked on our property! The shop will be at the back of the property with no paved path so a U-Haul parked there is going to be pretty obvious! Like Eric said, if a good thief wants your stuff they can get in other places than just a window. Since I'll keep the windows covered when not in the shop, at least window shoppers won't know what's in there. I could just put up a sign that says "Bubba's Homemade Quilts" and that should scare them off...

• Like 1

Both of our neighbors are retired and one of them let's us know if a cat walked on our property! The shop will be at the back of the property with no paved path so a U-Haul parked there is going to be pretty obvious! Like Eric said, if a good thief wants your stuff they can get in other places than just a window. Since I'll keep the windows covered when not in the shop, at least window shoppers won't know what's in there. I could just put up a sign that says "Bubba's Homemade Quilts" and that should scare them off...

Security aside, I liked having windows up in the gables.  The overhead light was nice.   It seemed to illuminate more of the space than lower windows would.

On my last block, every garage or backyard was broken into at least once.  the garages all faced an alley.  It was a nice town but bordered the shady side of town.

Before that I lived in a nice part of Brooklyn, NY and my car was routintely broken into.  The thieves had a habit of leaving the door wide open so that the dome light would drain the battery.  I guess they were pissed that they only got $3 in change and a scratched CD. 

so I guess I have taken loss preventation as a fact of life! 

For me, a dream shop would have 12' ceilings, a 3' clear-story and a wall of glass on the southern exposure. There is that small matter of cost, but if I'm spending your money...

Point is, get yourself as much natural light as you can afford. If you can swing it, substitute full-sheets of floor-to-ceiling hurricane glass for the 4 windows... My parents have that and it's awesome... If you can, add some windows on the other exposures.

As far as crime: windows - no windows -- doesn't change your vulnerability. Get yourself a fake video camera or two -- hell, real ones are just about as cheap -- and put a sign in your driveway... If they don't take the hint, install some Claymores --- that'll fix'em... :)

I'm still stuck on the building itself.  It's awesome.  

When you get the time I'd be very interested in some details:

There are many different types...what is the type of building

Built on a slab with plumbing or electrical conduit?

Company

How attached to slab

and such...

We have windows on all sides but they are too high to see in except the one on the porch, which I keep covered. Also have an alarm system with motion detectors, glass breaks, sirens in the house and shop, and it's tied directly to the police department. There are also motion detector lights on all sides.

• Like 1

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to join the GREEN with envy crowd. I'd put the windows any where you see fit. The opportunity to build a dream shop doesn't happen everyday. As far as security you could do like I do. When ever possible I make it know the I have a small arsenal at my place and everyone knows I'm not afraid to use it. It helps if everyone thinks you're a little crazy.

With the covered porch, moving windows up really isn't an option. I could move the end window up, but at 4' wide, it wouldn't make a difference in wall space. A 30x40 shop will have 140 linear feet of wall space before removing the door and window openings and you can still use above/below the windows.