Custom cabinets/kitchen work near Trenton/Princeton NJ?

TheFatBaron

We're in the process of redoing our kitchen... taking out existing cabinets, knocking out drywall, taking it down to studs in a couple spots, and ripping out the existing exhaust fan.

We're having trouble finding anyone that does custom work in the area. Everyone seems to do stock cabinetry. Which isn't bad... but it's small kitchen. I'd be shocked if custom came out significantly more than mid-range stock. Anyone have leads? We're not looking to be GCs on the project. I'd love to find someone who can come in, knock out the existing stuff, put up the new.

Any leads>

What I would do is google Better Business Bureau with my city and state.  In my case it would be 'carpenter bbb barnhart, mo'

I've always seen it where the customer orders the cabinets (using measurements from either the customer or a contractor) and then either the contractor or customer will receive them.  Since you have to have them shipped you aren't limited, you can go anywhere nationally. 

You don't want to build the cabinets?

The BBB for my area is shockingly limited, but they're who I've searched through (besides general google searches). At this point, I'm mostly getting responses from people who install kraftmaid (or comparable cabinets) and the like. Which is fine, but we're trying to get an estimate on a full range of options.

And no, not building the cabinets myself. I don't have the time (or the skill, probably) to assemble/hang everything with a fulltime job and a 2 year old - particularly with the amount of non-cabinet work to do.

BBB is a waste of effort they are just extortionist. Call or look KCMA shops they are few and far between but at least you will get known properly built and finished cabinets. Also check with CMA for a builder. These will help you find a cabinet shop but not a contractor. CMA should list some installers also. Expect to pay quite abit more for custom vs stock. Talk to the builder and make sure they can supply you with a written copy of their warranty prior to placing an order. Ask about finishes. Don't trust anyone that says their finish is KCMA certified unless they are a KCMA shop. KCMA does not certify finishes. If your going FF ask if the cabinets are built to ANSI standards if they are not or do not know what ANSI standards are then run. If you have any more questions Ill be happy to answer them. 

BBB is a waste of effort they are just extortionist. Call or look KCMA shops they are few and far between but at least you will get known properly built and finished cabinets. Also check with CMA for a builder. These will help you find a cabinet shop but not a contractor. CMA should list some installers also. Expect to pay quite abit more for custom vs stock. Talk to the builder and make sure they can supply you with a written copy of their warranty prior to placing an order. Ask about finishes. Don't trust anyone that says their finish is KCMA certified unless they are a KCMA shop. KCMA does not certify finishes. If your going FF ask if the cabinets are built to ANSI standards if they are not or do not know what ANSI standards are then run. If you have any more questions Ill be happy to answer them. 

I got most of this.  What is FF? 

Call your local Chamber of Commerce. They'll have a list of all the local cabinet shops and can probably tell you who does custom work. Narrow it down to a couple, then go see their installed work. If they're reputable they'll have a list of clients who won't mind you coming (at their convenience) to check out the quality. Just my approach whenever I'm looking for a contractor of any type.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If they're reputable they'll have a list of clients who won't mind you coming (at their convenience) to check out the quality. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In 25+ years of doing this I know of none that would a ask former client to use their home as a showroom. Some will use them as a photo op but never use someones home as a showroom.

The biggest issue with custom shops is finish quality. Any shop can make cabinets that will look great for a short period but can they hold up over time. This is where trade certification comes in handy. Ask questions like what brands of finish do they use. If they are using hobby world finishes walk away most will look great for the short term but thats about it. Ask how thick their finishes are and get it in writing. Ask about warranty most will offer a lifetime defect warranty. This means things like thin edges can be repaired years down the road. Normal wear and tear like wear around pulls usually would not be covered. Most if not all will offer at least a four year warranty because that is the law in most states for new construction.

Look at how they handle warranty claims. Do they send out a guy from the cabinet shop or is it the contractor responsibility. Do they have a touch up finisher available to fix any scratches or installation damage. Look at the door tenon lengths are they 3/8" or 1/2" are they adding dowels to the cope and stick. If your getting mitered doors ask about the construction are they using a tenon. Look for hoffman dovetails. Your wanting a door that will not open up at the miter. Most small shops just dowel and the joints will open up. This doesn't mean the door is going to fall apart it simply means the finish is going to need repair.

Look at hardware are they pressing in their hinges. Are they using the right screws to hold the hinges to the face frame. Are they installing their hinges with little 1/2" pan heads or are they using the proper 1" pan heads. 

There are so many little things to look at when buying cabinets and so many that folks over look. Short term good looks is meaningless.

In 25+ years of doing this I know of none that would a ask former client to use their home as a showroom. Some will use them as a photo op but never use someones home as a showroom.

The biggest issue with custom shops is finish quality. Any shop can make cabinets that will look great for a short period but can they hold up over time. This is where trade certification comes in handy. Ask questions like what brands of finish do they use. If they are using hobby world finishes walk away most will look great for the short term but thats about it. Ask how thick their finishes are and get it in writing. Ask about warranty most will offer a lifetime defect warranty. This means things like thin edges can be repaired years down the road. Normal wear and tear like wear around pulls usually would not be covered. Most if not all will offer at least a four year warranty because that is the law in most states for new construction.

Look at how they handle warranty claims. Do they send out a guy from the cabinet shop or is it the contractor responsibility. Do they have a touch up finisher available to fix any scratches or installation damage. Look at the door tenon lengths are they 3/8" or 1/2" are they adding dowels to the cope and stick. If your getting mitered doors ask about the construction are they using a tenon. Look for hoffman dovetails. Your wanting a door that will not open up at the miter. Most small shops just dowel and the joints will open up. This doesn't mean the door is going to fall apart it simply means the finish is going to need repair.

Look at hardware are they pressing in their hinges. Are they using the right screws to hold the hinges to the face frame. Are they installing their hinges with little 1/2" pan heads or are they using the proper 1" pan heads. 

There are so many little things to look at when buying cabinets and so many that folks over look. Short term good looks is meaningless.

this is helpful.  we are redoing our kitchen next year and  I have seen too many nice looking kitchens that have racked doors, doors coming apart, hinges fallling off, finish flaking at the edges etc 5 years later.  But of course they all have dovetailed boxes!  Our current kitchen is 34 years old.  It does not have all the bells and whistles of modern cabinets but not a single drawer or cabinet has failed and all the joinery is tight.  If it wasn't red oak covered with 15 layers of latex paint I'd just leave it alone (plus the layout sucks).   The drawer boxes are all rabetted/dadoed and nailed or stapled, and they look thin compared to today's standards.  The drawer glides are those simple roller type you see on ikea furniture (which I like, so much easier to take a drawer out).   The face frames are doweled together (I know I took one of them apart to fit in a bigger refrigerator).  The hinges are simple overlay wrap hinges.  The faceframes are dadoed to the carcasses.   By today's standards they might be "underbuilt" (no dovetails, no blum mounts, no adjustable euro style cup hinges, thin drawer boxes, doors are just flat panels, etc) but my guess is they were actually built the right way where it matters most.