making wood crack

duckkisser

old wood turns gray and cracks im going to use some vineger to turn my wood grey but i was wondering if there was a chemical that i could use that would allow me to make the wood crack.  im making a mask and i want to be able to make the face part of the mask look like old wood. any ideas?

i just want to crack a small part im concerned about heat affecting the rest similar with the freezer.  it has merrits but i dont know how well it would work ill try it with a small scrap where i get it wet freeze it. let it warm up and repeat.

A watched pot....

When baking, how fast does a crack develop? Can you monitor and remove at the point you get checking? Can you only wet one area to get the crack where you want it? How about a heat gun instead? Are you Edison? How many failures are you willing to try?

Definitely test this out first...but I'd try laying a soaking wet cloth, kind of rolled up into a worm shape, on the area you want to crack.  Let it soak for a few hours.  Then put it under a heat lamp.  If that doesn't work, I have no other ideas.  I spend all of my time trying to figure out how to make wood NOT crack. :)