DMT diamond flattening stone

Jg2259

Hello all,

I just watched a video fron Highland woodworking on sharpening chisels and the guy mentioned using a flattening stone to flatten your waterstones. He used a DMT DiaFlat. I looked it up on Amazon, and the price is $165. WOW.

I bought a sharpening kit from Rockler and I'm not sure of the brand, but it has I think a 1000gr on one side and 8000gr on the other side. I think I might have paid $40 or $50 for it. I can't justify spending that much money to flatten a stone that cost 3 times less.

If anyone is familiar with DMT diamond stones, could you possibly reccomend one of their less expensive stones, and what grit I should get, to flatten my stones, and also use it to supplement the stones I already have to get the most bang for the buck?

Should I purchase one that has a grit in between the grits that I have, or one thats coarser or finer. I'm willing to spend $50 or $60, but not $165. Or is the DIAFLAT a must have?

Thank you guys and gals for any help that you might offer.

Jim

I've been using sandpaper for a long time.  Woodcraft sells a nice 9x12 granite surface plate for $35, or 25 if you can catch it on sale.  It's good for flattening small plane bottoms too.  Wet-or-dry sandpaper will stay in place on the granite with just a splash of water under it, so you can pull the paper up, or change grits with little effort.

The trick to using sandpaper is to get the best quality wet-or-dry.  A lot of people complain about the paper not lasting, but if you get this stuff, and rinse it off after using it, it will last a LONG time.  I use 100 grit.  It will make a Norton 8000 cut so fast that spending more money on a stone doesn't make much sense. 

http://www.multitechproducts.com/100-grit-carborundum-silicon-carbide-diamond-grit-wet-or-dry-sandpaper/

Use the whole face of the stone when sharpening, and it won't dish out so much to have to take much off of the stone to flatten it.  That will not only allow the paper to last longer, but the stone as well.  We flatten after almost every use.  One sheet of this paper has been at the sharpening sink for over a year.

DiaFlat-125 is 125u

DiaFlat-95 is 95u

Depending on mfg run, a given plate may be edge-marked DiaFlat or DiaFlat-125 -- these are both 125u. DiaFlat-95s are always marked DiaFlat-95.

DiaFlat-95 is a special order from DMT. The line is only run periodically. A few dealers inventory the plate until stocks deplete, then wait for another production run from DMT... The 95 targeted for hard ceramics of about 3K-5K and up (depending on binder/density). DMT warns that the 95 may breakdown more quickly than the 125 if it's used to flatten very course grades of hard ceramic stone. The 95 typically sells for a little over $200. The DiaFlat-125 for about $170.

==>it's 160 grit

It's actually 160 mesh (don't ask), so you have a DiaFlat-95.

I have a Dia-Flat, and use it not only for flattening, but as an extra-extra coarse stone.  In fact, I haven't ground an edge since I bought it.

For really bunged up edges, or major angle changes, I use the DF until I get at least a partial wire edge, then go 5-10 strokes on XC-C-F-XF to remove the scratches, and finish a microbevel on 4000 and 8000 grit water stones.

Fast and easy...   B)  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am planning on getting a DMT extra-coarse/coarse diamond stone to use to flatten my Norton water stones and to use to establish my primary bevel on chisels and plane blades.  Does anyone have any input on a DuoSharp vs. DiaSharp stone for these purposes?  I've seen what looks like the DuoSharp used for flattening on videos, like the Lie-Nielsen video with Deneb Puchalski, but I've mostly seen the DiaSharp recommended without a lot of clear reasons why.

Oh man, so many variations on this stuff, my head is spinning. thought i HAD to have a DIA-Flat, but now I may just get my toes wet with a Coarse or Extra coarse to help flatten tool backs and water stones. unless someone insists other wise.