European door hinge jigs

Janello

I have no experience with this and I'm looking for some advise. I see there is a large spectrum of options from a $300. blum jig to an $11. template used with a 35mm forstner bit. The problem I see with the cheaper store bought jigs is depth of holes being hard to keep accurate.

I'm thinking a hand made mdf template/jig to use with a router and bushing guide would be the cheapest and most effective way. I could incorporate a depth gauge for the bit right on the template. Does this sound like a good idea? If so where can i find the hinge hole locations/dimensions for setting this jig up? 

If buying one is the better option, what ones have you folks used and suggest?

Don't over think it. A drill press and vix bit is all that you need. Cut a scrap strip to set the distance from fence for the big hole. Mark your fence for the ends if each door. The depth 99.9% of the time is the thickness of your Forster bit or just shy, eyeball it.

Don't over think it. A drill press and vix bit is all that you need. Cut a scrap strip to set the distance from fence for the big hole. Mark your fence for the ends if each door. The depth 99.9% of the time is the thickness of your Forster bit or just shy, eyeball it.

That's it. If you don't have a Drill press you can get one of those devices that hold a corded drill.

Sent from my thumbs

I use these hinges all the time and PB and spencer j are dead on .... Use a simple fence on your drill press or if you don't have a drill press make jig out of a strip of material that will register against the back edge of your door with the holes drilled in the correct position clamp the jig to the back of the door and use a Forster bit to drill by hand... As pb said the depth is usually just shy of the thickness of your bit..... Put a hinge in each hole and press a long straight edge against the inside edge of the square plates where the screw holes are and that will line them up square.

I prefer using Salice hinges over Blum. They are heavier duty and the reveal (distance from the edge of the door to the edge of your hine) is always constant with all (full overlay, half overlay and inset) plus all opening angles (90-110-155 & 165 degrees).

Last ... easiest hinge to adjust.

One last thing .. Salice invented the Euro Hinge. Great product.

I use a simple jig I bought years ago from rockler for drilling the 35 mm cup hinges. Can use drill with fostner bit. Item controls position and depth

http://www.rockler.com/concealed-hinge-jig-it-system

I did notice several reviews mentioned a plastic washer that melts and screws up the depth. I got mine years ago and I have a metal washer so never saw the problem.