Coffee Table

..Kev

I recently posted some pics of a lamp table and a couple end tables that I did for a particular client.  Well, the clients wanted a coffee table to finish up their living room.  This time, they wanted a live edge slab and were fairly particular about the size.  So, here it is..  Before they've seen it I might add  :ph34r:

Live edge black walnut slab with a good sized crack in one end that needed to be repaired.  Maple for the contrasting butterfly.

b4ma.jpg

4rdy.jpg

Leg glue ups - All Western walnut for the base

y7vb.jpg

Having a look at a dry fit 

6d5o.jpg

Complete dry fit - Joinery complete thanks to the Domino

fyo2.jpg

Base complete - General Finishes WB wipe on Satin

30ge.jpg

Top complete - General Finishes WB wipe on Satin

dzww.jpg

5 coats of GF WB finish - Sanded with 600 between coats

3fwx.jpg

I like to shoot furniture in the clients home whenever possible. All of their furnishings make a great setting for the piece you built. I just wish I had more time and skill at lighting and avoiding glare to take better pictures.

That table looks very sturdy and the elegant curved aprons really catch my eye.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice table.  I was wondering if you minded saying how much the wood was per board foot.  I have a local lumber yard that has air dried walnut that is about 5/4 and they are selling it for $5 a bf which seems like a good deal.  (still has the live edges like yours) but then you have to deal with the sap wood.and they definitely have more sap wood on their then you do.  I picked up a board for the poker chip trays (thought the contrast might look nice in those) - but love furniture out them like you built.  Really nice piece.

Five bucks a BF is an awesome deal compared to my local HW dealer!  On average, I'm paying around 7 dollars a BF for walnut.

I have a local saw mill that I got the 8/4 black walnut slab from and it was a pretty incredible price, far less than that five bucks.  A bit of a special deal so, isn't really fair to compare that price.

• 3 weeks later...

So a really cool thing happened today!  Seems these clients had gotten a lot of compliments on the furniture and felt they needed to stop by and give me a tip.  It wasn't a lot of money but they were very adamant that I take it.  Pretty hear warming really!

• Like 1