Wood ID From a branch/twig slice?

Sazmataz

Hi everyone! A friend of mine just made these buttons and doesn't know the type of wood they are. This is what she told me:

"During a recent ice storm, some limbs snapped off the tree in my neighbor’s yard and I really liked the look of the center of the limb so I snatched it (I probably looked really ridiculous lol). It has smooth-ish silvery bark, but obviously no leaves yet because its winter."

She lives in Kentucky if that helps. I have no idea if you can even tell from a sample taken from a tiny branch, but just in case...

Thanks!

post-15335-0-59771000-1394673575_thumb.j

Like Eric and C Shaffer I thought mullberry as soon as I saw it.  In my experience of turning mullberry you see a lot of this intense contrast of heartwood and sapwood in the branches. The larger pieces from the trunk tend to be less contrasting. That said I am no expert, just my $.02

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-_tiVhsjTTOQ/T902RNpeADI/AAAAAAAAAa4/55pQexlkqJs/s1600/Female+Tree+with+fruit.jpg

When I have a question on species ID from twigs, I take the sample to our local landscape emporium. If they can't ID, then I send it to Rutgers -- in either case the ID is free. Not sure about KY, but the state Uni's Ag Dept will probably do the same...