Been Out To Long, Need Help

David Turner

So I went down into my shop after not being in there for a couple of months due to working a lot of doubles at my day job…  I finally got down there and as I was looking at things and cleaning up a bit, I decided I hated the way it was laid out.

Now I have a small shop (12x15) and I have a very limited tool supply, bench top table saw, miter saw (with a broken power switch) electric drills and a few planes etc.

I need a safe way to control the power on that miter saw, maybe some sort of on/off switch beween the power from the wall and the plug in on the saw.

I found that I never had room on my bench with the miter saw on the end of it, so I moved it onto the floor until i can find a way to move it and keep it out of my way. I would like to use rolling units but my basement isn't exactly flat and i would have to have a tool roll on me while I am using it. So i think that solid units that are level should be the way to go.  I had planned a couple months back to build a new bench but never got around to it.  It really needs to be done now.

I cannot hang anything on the concrete walls, since I rent the property.  This takes up a lot of floor space since I can’t drill into the walls for cabinets.

I have Limited Power (2) 110 outlets and a 50 Amp 220 outlet. It’s obviously not enough for any shop. 

I have limited lighting due to having limited power, I have (4) 4 ft florescent fixtures which I upgraded to 6500K bulbs to try and brighten it up a bit. Luckily these fixtures can be powered off of each other.

So I am hoping for some help from everyone on the forum on ways to.

·        Optimize power (Maybe there is a 220 box that has a ton of 110 outlets on separate breakers) Maybe there is a better lighting solution.

·        Good size for a workbench/assembly table (Since I’m in such a small space I would like to utilize as much as possible with workstations that can do more          than 1 thing)

·        Basically any ideas that may help I am all for trying something to be able to work in this area.

Thanks For all the help in advance

I would suggest making the most of the tools you have, unless you really want to spend money on new machines first. Design a workbench that incorporates your tablesaw. That gives you more working surface and takes less floor space. Consider incorporating your miter saw as well, maybe on a rotating platform so it can flip down below bench level when not needed. As for wall storage, you can knock together some free-standing storage units that don't attach to the wall. If you worry about them tipping, make them tall enough to insert a wedge above to lock them against the ceiling. And don't fret so much about the outlets. In a space that small, you probably can reach them without moving too much, and it is a good safety practice to keep inactive machines unplugged.

As someone who works in his un-powered barn during the summer months, and has to run cables from the house I can completely sympathize. I manage ok with two 110v connections, and a 220v connection. I only need the 220v because I have some 220v power tools and lights I brought with me from the UK (they only have 220v over there).

I've got away with just two connections for now - one to run the shop vac/dust collection, the other to run which ever tool I'm using at the time. It's a little frustrating, but I get by. I had considered getting power up there when we had some sparks over doing some work on the house, but the roof on the barn isn't in the best state and I was concerned about the power shorting out if it rained too hard! Also the barn is falling apart and in about 10 years time will probably need to be pulled down. I think my wife would probably prefer it was pulled down now.

Do you have any space on your breaker panel for some dedicated lines? My connections are independent of anything else in the house so when I pop a breaker, I'm the only one effected. If you do have some space on your panel, it might be worth getting a quote from a spark to see how it would cost to get some dedicated lines into your work space.

Now I have a small shop (12x15) and I have a very limited tool supply, bench top table saw, miter saw (with a broken power switch) electric drills and a few planes etc.

Bah.  I've been working out of a 10x13 and with 7.5' ceilings for three years.

I need a safe way to control the power on that miter saw, maybe some sort of on/off switch beween the power from the wall and the plug in on the saw.

And one presumes the landlord doesn't want you performing any surgery on the wiring.  Sounds like you want to make a custom extension cord with a kill switch.  Shouldn't be too expensive a build and certainly a good way to get your feet wet (figuratively!) in electrical wiring if you've never done any.

I found that I never had room on my bench with the miter saw on the end of it, so I moved it onto the floor until i can find a way to move it and keep it out of my way. I would like to use rolling units but my basement isn't exactly flat and i would have to have a tool roll on me while I am using it. So i think that solid units that are level should be the way to go.  I had planned a couple months back to build a new bench but never got around to it.  It really needs to be done now.

Sounds like the only assistance you need here is help getting motivated to make some sawdust.  A chop saw does indeed beg a custom bench for two reasons:

1. You want the saw sunk into a recess such that the table serves as work support.
  2. Dust control.  You'll use the saw a lot more if it's not a chore to clean up after it.

I have Limited Power (2) 110 outlets and a 50 Amp 220 outlet. It’s obviously not enough for any shop. 

Horse nuggets.  You've got one circuit for lights and DC as well as another circuit for whatever tool you're using at the moment.  I don't even have a 220 outlet, let alone any tools that would draw such power.

·        Good size for a workbench/assembly table (Since I’m in such a small space I would like to utilize as much as possible with workstations that can do more          than 1 thing)

Versatility is a desirable thing in the small shop but I think it can be taken too far.  The thought and engineering needed to make a workstation/contraption increases exponentially with the number of tools (chop saw...plus table saw...plus...plus) involved.  The probability that you'll a.) actually get it built and b.) be happy with the finished product likewise decreases.

Take things one step at a time.  The first step is to get the chop saw off the floor and shrouded with some sort of dust collector.  In your mind's eye, what does that look like?  Now go build it.

So I am hoping for some help from everyone on the forum on ways to.

·        Optimize power (Maybe there is a 220 box that has a ton of 110 outlets on separate breakers) Maybe there is a better lighting solution.

You cannot usually get more than one circuit out of a 220v run.  The 220v run achieves 220v by pulling two hots off of separate phases in your panel. Since the phases are oppositional at 110v then you get an effectual 220v.  There are some circuits pulled with both of these hot legs and a grounding wire only.  Some guys will also pull a return.  I think this is application specific and depends on coding. This allows for one circuit to be converted to 110v.  To get two circuits at 110v you will usually need another return to be pulled.  Unless you are already in conduit this means a whole new run which will get you your new circuit anyway.  I am not an EE so my terminology may not be one hundred percent flawless but the theory remains. 

As someone who works in his un-powered barn during the summer months, and has to run cables from the house I can completely sympathize. I manage ok with two 110v connections, and a 220v connection. I only need the 220v because I have some 220v power tools and lights I brought with me from the UK (they only have 220v over there).

I've got away with just two connections for now - one to run the shop vac/dust collection, the other to run which ever tool I'm using at the time. It's a little frustrating, but I get by. I had considered getting power up there when we had some sparks over doing some work on the house, but the roof on the barn isn't in the best state and I was concerned about the power shorting out if it rained too hard! Also the barn is falling apart and in about 10 years time will probably need to be pulled down. I think my wife would probably prefer it was pulled down now.

Do you have any space on your breaker panel for some dedicated lines? My connections are independent of anything else in the house so when I pop a breaker, I'm the only one effected. If you do have some space on your panel, it might be worth getting a quote from a spark to see how it would cost to get some dedicated lines into your work space.

I cant add any spaces to the box because i rent, i wish i could lol

Bah.  I've been working out of a 10x13 and with 7.5' ceilings for three years.

And one presumes the landlord doesn't want you performing any surgery on the wiring.  Sounds like you want to make a custom extension cord with a kill switch.  Shouldn't be too expensive a build and certainly a good way to get your feet wet (figuratively!) in electrical wiring if you've never done any.

Sounds like the only assistance you need here is help getting motivated to make some sawdust.  A chop saw does indeed beg a custom bench for two reasons:

1. You want the saw sunk into a recess such that the table serves as work support.
  2. Dust control.  You'll use the saw a lot more if it's not a chore to clean up after it.

Horse nuggets.  You've got one circuit for lights and DC as well as another circuit for whatever tool you're using at the moment.  I don't even have a 220 outlet, let alone any tools that would draw such power.

Versatility is a desirable thing in the small shop but I think it can be taken too far.  The thought and engineering needed to make a workstation/contraption increases exponentially with the number of tools (chop saw...plus table saw...plus...plus) involved.  The probability that you'll a.) actually get it built and b.) be happy with the finished product likewise decreases.

Take things one step at a time.  The first step is to get the chop saw off the floor and shrouded with some sort of dust collector.  In your mind's eye, what does that look like?  Now go build it.

I prefer not to have to move an extension cord all over the shop if i dont have to..  I thought about putting a switch in the line between the extension cord and the table saw.. Just havent found what I want to do with it yet. Eventually I am going to buy a house and build a stand alone shop.. Hopefully in the next couple of years but dragging cords all over and tripping on them just is not an option.. I have no patience for that.